Looking for direction of AMP choice
Jul 20, 2021 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JackFX

New Head-Fier
Gear list:
ZMF Aeolus
Monoprice THX Dac/AMP
Feliks Euphoria.

I really enjoy my Aeolus on the THX amp. Growing up listening to McIntosh systems I thought I would really love the way tubes would pair with my aeolus. However after recently getting the feliks euphoria all I have been is disappointed. The bass seems flabby, and the highs seem like theyre lacking detail. I find myself just prefering my THX dac/amp in all ways.
I was going to most likely sell the euphoria, from there I am wondering what direction I should move on AMPs. Should I give better tube amps a try MHA150/200 im looking at you? Or maybe ZMF pendent? Or should I just skip tube amps and upgrade into a better solid state? What do you guys think? Also please recommend some good amps for me to look into.

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 4
have you tried tube rolling? Different tubes can make a huge difference.
The Aeolus is a warm sounding headphone with extra midbass. If you use warm tubes it can def mess up the sound

You can also change up the sound of all of the ZMF headphones by rolling pads as well. Universe pads are the most bass heavy

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 4
have you tried tube rolling? Different tubes can make a huge difference.
The Aeolus is a warm sounding headphone with extra midbass. If you use warm tubes it can def mess up the sound

You can also change up the sound of all of the ZMF headphones by rolling pads as well. Universe pads are the most bass heavy
I did tube roll a bit, I got a few sets with the Euphoria. I think part of it is the aeolus are already warm. I have tried TUNG-SOL 6080s, SLYVANIA and PSVANE 6SN7s, Chatham 6ASN7G, and EL38s with an adapter. I think my complaints however are how people describe this amp, I just thought I would enjoy that.

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't own the Aeolus but I had it for review purposes. I've also not heard your amp.
I suggest you email Zach and ask for his opinion. He knows his amps and tubes as well as anyone and can probably guide you better than anyone else on the planet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back