Looking for direction for Silver full size cable
Sep 6, 2021 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xirxes

100+ Head-Fier
I am auditioning a custom made thin silver single strand cable, and i am convinced that it offers something close to 5% increase in sound quality over my Dan Clark ViVO cable.

I am finding that it is quite micro-phonic, which is something i feel the need to avoid at high end, as the ViVo is completely without micro-phonics which i love.

Looking for Hirose/4pin XLR ended , pure silver 10' cable that has the improvements i'm hearing, but non-micro-phonic. Any specific suggestions? I've heard that even nylon wrapped Silvergarde S3 from norne are micro-phonic so i want to be clear here.

TIA

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 5
I am auditioning a custom made thin silver single strand cable, and i am convinced that it offers something close to 5% increase in sound quality over my Dan Clark ViVO cable.

I am finding that it is quite micro-phonic, which is something i feel the need to avoid at high end, as the ViVo is completely without micro-phonics which i love.

Looking for Hirose/4pin XLR ended , pure silver 10' cable that has the improvements i'm hearing, but non-micro-phonic. Any specific suggestions? I've heard that even nylon wrapped Silvergarde S3 from norne are micro-phonic so i want to be clear here.

TIA
Which one do you have? I have the Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver. At least it used be called that, there's now a Grand Silver cable with either 20 solid 5N silver cores (28 AWG each, so effectively 21 AWG per conductor), which sounds like what I have, or 4 litz 6N silver cores (20 AWG each). So the second option is equivalent to a slightly thicker conductor (lower AWG = thicker), with 99.9999% (6N) purity instead 99.999% (5N).

I would say it's a little less microphonic than the VIVO cable (my Lavricables cable isn't sleeved, so the smooth Teflon insulation probably helps), which is slightly less microphonic than the DUM cable, which is much less microphonic than the balanced Periapt cable for my HD660S.

Basically I don't notice the Lavricables except for some slight pressure on my quarantine moobs. The tube shaped carbon fiber Y splitter is also thin enough to not normally cause issues, while the more chunky Y splitter of the VIVO is more eager to catch on my desk's edge.

Sound wise I prefer the Lavricables one over the DUM cable, which I prefer over the VIVO. It's been a long time since I compared them, though, with changes since to the earpads, removal of the bass port sticker on my Ether C Flow, etc.

My main complaint about the Lavricables one would be that the Hirose connectors it came with were very difficult to get on the headphone. At some point one channel in the cable stopped working, so when I sent it back for repair to Latvia (sigh), I included original connectors sold by DCA (which allegedly aren't authentic Hirose connectors, either, but they are what DCA uses). Now it's just as easy to connect as the official cables and I'm quite happy with it.

I am waiting on a response from ZMF about their 2K copper cable that I want to try, though that will probably take them a while to make.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Which one do you have? I have the Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver. At least it used be called that, there's now a Grand Silver cable with either 20 solid 5N silver cores (28 AWG each, so effectively 21 AWG per conductor), which sounds like what I have, or 4 litz 6N silver cores (20 AWG each). So the second option is equivalent to a slightly thicker conductor (lower AWG = thicker), with 99.9999% (6N) purity instead 99.999% (5N).

I would say it's a little less microphonic than the VIVO cable (my Lavricables cable isn't sleeved, so the smooth Teflon insulation probably helps), which is slightly less microphonic than the DUM cable, which is much less microphonic than the balanced Periapt cable for my HD660S.

Basically I don't notice the Lavricables except for some slight pressure on my quarantine moobs. The tube shaped carbon fiber Y splitter is also thin enough to not normally cause issues, while the more chunky Y splitter of the VIVO is more eager to catch on my desk's edge.

Sound wise I prefer the Lavricables one over the DUM cable, which I prefer over the VIVO. It's been a long time since I compared them, though, with changes since to the earpads, removal of the bass port sticker on my Ether C Flow, etc.

My main complaint about the Lavricables one would be that the Hirose connectors it came with were very difficult to get on the headphone. At some point one channel in the cable stopped working, so when I sent it back for repair to Latvia (sigh), I included original connectors sold by DCA (which allegedly aren't authentic Hirose connectors, either, but they are what DCA uses). Now it's just as easy to connect as the official cables and I'm quite happy with it.

I am waiting on a response from ZMF about their 2K copper cable that I want to try, though that will probably take them a while to make.
I’m testing out a homemade job that is clear vinyl covered single core silver. I can detect almost no microphonics on my vivo, the DUMMER is highly mocrophonic but this silver one, especially the cable against itself is the most microphonic.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I’m testing out a homemade job that is clear vinyl covered single core silver. I can detect almost no microphonics on my vivo, the DUMMER is highly mocrophonic but this silver one, especially the cable against itself is the most microphonic.
So three or four conductors, no sleeve? Any chance you can share a picture of Y split an up?

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 5
This is less about the cable I am auditioning and more about personal references for non-microphonic silver cables lol.

the one I have is not what im after but I do like the silver sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back