Looking for decent USB DAC under $150
May 25, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xplo

100+ Head-Fier
So, sorry to ask a question that's probably been asked and answered a zillion times on here, but:

My AP192 card is apparently dead. Made sure the driver was current, ran through all the software and hardware troubleshooting, and now M-Audio's suggesting I sent it in for testing and repair/replacement. But the card is well out of warranty, and I'm not married to the card anyway, so at this point I'm considering other replacement options. I don't have a dedicated digital out (except on my broken sound card) so I'm looking to USB.

What I want is something to sit in between my computer and my headphone amp. I don't need or want an integrated amp, obviously, and I don't need a volume control or a lot of bells and whistles, just a good DAC and a line out. (If it had a line in, that would be fine. I don't plan to make any music with this setup, but occasionally I want to record some sound.) DIY's not an option for me; I don't have the electrical know-how or the tools.

Suggestions? Alternate suggestions? Ego-crushing reality checks?

May 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I think it's more along the lines of $180, but just "splurge" and get the EMU 0404 USB. It really is a great unit, with a flagship AKG chip.

May 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't heard the E-MU 0404, but I'd recommend it just from the number of praises I've read here. The inputs and outputs are both sides of the box, so it can get a little messy. If you're looking to switch between multiple input sources, I'd suggest the DIYEDEN SVDAC04-U.

May 27, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 5
May 27, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 5
I guess you can give the Superpro 707 dac usb (the purple one) a shot. Maybe Zhaolu or Keces if you are willing to up the budget.
Hope it helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back