Looking for decent headphones for a variety of music?
Jul 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jakeddong

New Head-Fier

Ok i'm a newbie when it comes to headphones, however i am looking for my first pair of decent headphones.

The features i am looking for are:

1. Over ear design
  2. Comfortable for few hours of music playback.
  3. Design don't matter since I will be using them almost always at home.
  4. Nice sound quality for a variety of music: Rock, Pop, Classic, Rap, Ballad, i think that's about it.
  5. My budget is around 250 USD. Price don't matter as long as it's under $250. Just looking for the best quality sound headphones (for the variety of music I have listed above) that you can get for less than 250 dollars.

I was considering buying Sennheiser's HD 558 but I wanted to hear some suggestions first :)

Thanks

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Sony MDR-7509HD

they are balanced meaning they handle a great variety of music without adding more bass or treble when not needed

One of the most comftable headphones modeled after the MDR-V- line

Plastic, but don't be deceived, they are built like a tank!

Are worshiped by music producers

Won't need a amp, hopefully. I haven't used them without an amp when I listened to them, but they are extremely low indepedance cans, so an amp will not be needed.

EDIT: I have the MDR-V6 which are the starter in the MDR that are the starter in the line up and I love them. Comfort, sound, price, and build quality. The 7509hd are the big brother and amazing headphones that are greatly balanced and comfitable. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 12
IF you're in a large variety of music, I would have to suggest you to take a look at "balanced" headphones. Here is a quote from another thread I saw by SoSpecial.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Closed

Monitors: AKA flat response lots of details. Okay at everything or mediocre at everything depending on how you look at it.

Shure SR440's

Sony MDR V6 or 7506( basically the same)

Koss Pro4AA

Basshead cans: Lots of good bass , good impact for dance and if EQ'd correctly are amazing for Metal.

Sennhieser HD212

Sony MDR XB500

Shure SR750DJ

Bass Emphasized: More relaxed laid back if you will, they have great extention both directions. To me these are the classic closed headphones.

JVC RX700/900

Audio Technica ATH-A700

Audio Technica ATH M50

Smooth speakers:

Creative Aurvana Live

Sennheiser HD428

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 12
if you're up for upgrading one step at a time I'd suggest a used Sennheiser HD600 can be had for your price range, you'd just need an amp to get the most out of it.  For fun, I've plugged it into an iPod...sounded flat.  Plug it into something that can actual drive it, and you'll have one of the best headphones for your money.

See if the Denon AH-D2000 fit into your budget if you want some good thumping.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Does a laptop computer provide enough amp for what you are talking about?

Whether a laptop gives efficient amp/ohms enough to drive the suggested headphones, is impossible. It all comes down to the specs of the laptop. What I have to say, for a beginner or start-off head-fi member (no offence at all), I highly suggest you to amps such as the CMOY or the Fiio E7/E9 combo. They are cheap and pretty good. I'm not at all an amp/dac expert nor do I have much knowledge about them, but I would recommend them. 

As for headphones categorized as "monitors", they can be defined as (tell me if I'm wrong). . .

1. Headphones that are balanced. Meaning balance Highs, Mids and Lows. (maybe bass?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back