Looking for decent dap mostly for in car playing
Jul 29, 2015 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rutledj

New Head-Fier
Hardly audiophile worthy but I'm looking to replace my old ipod nano player with something else. Looking for a device that can store higher quality music and still easily interface with a car's factory audio.  My truck currently connects to my apple device via a usb port. It appears most of the newer devices do not connect in that manner.

Since I want be using this device for critical listening, I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars.  I'm drawn a little toward the fiio x1 player currently selling for $100.  I can't seem to find any info on how or if it will mate with my truck's unit. Can you use the truck radio controls to navigate through songs or folders as is presently can with the ipod? Or is this just something unique to ipods?

Thanks for any information.
Rut

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 9
"Can you use the truck radio controls to navigate through songs or folders as is presently can with the ipod?"

Is the stereo in your truck playing the songs, or is the ipod? Some vehicle radios just use an mp3 player like they would use a flash memory drive containing songs. In that case, just get a cheap large capacity flash memory drive to use in the truck stereo.

Some vehicle stereos though have an ipod dock, and make use of the ipod line out, and have the player playing the songs.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Not entirely sure. The ipod's controls do not work when it is connected to the truck's radio via the usb connector. I use the radio's controls to move from song to song or move through folders or tell it to shuffle. Since you can also plug in a usb drive of songs I suspect it is as you say, the radio sees it as a flash drive.

The truck also has an aux input jack which is how I would assume these other devices would have to connect. If that is the case then I would think you would be using the player's controls vs the radio.

Does that sound correct?

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Is the connection to the truck via a usb cable, or is there an ipod dock? If it is using the regular usb cable you use to connect the ipod to your pc, then the truck stereo is what is playing your music, and the ipod is just being used as a usb drive. If it is connected via an ipod dock or a special cable, then the player is playing the songs. 

I don't own an ipod, however I assume if the player controls don't work while the player is connected, then the truck stereo is probably using the ipod just like it would use a flash memory drive. That is how it works with other brands of players.

I suggest you get a flash memory drive to use in the truck. Let someone who uses an ipod though confirm what I think is probably true.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 9
It uses a simple usb cable to connect the ipod, not a dock. So would a fiio or other similar player not work in this manner? I would like the option of being able to take it with me and listen via headphones when the need arises.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 9
It uses a simple usb cable to connect the ipod, not a dock. So would a fiio or other similar player not work in this manner? I would like the option of being able to take it with me and listen via headphones when the need arises.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747178/does-fiio-x1-plays-in-cars-usb-port

According to a few posts down, the 1.2 firmware and above does work as you described.

I would test a few files first to see what formats your truck could play (my car plays through the USB sync cable as well, but the iPod controls DO work; not sure if it would play with another player though. It will only support mp3/wma files on a flash drive according to the manual).

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Understood but if I just connect it via the aux in would it actually be sending the music itself (as decoded and processed through the player) and not an actual file?

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 9

Do you have a flash memory drive that you could put songs on, so you could try plugging it into the truck stereo and see if it works.
Either that or a flash memory card and a usb card reader?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back