Looking For Decent, Cost Effective Amp For PC, "Sonic T-AMP 2ND Generation" Any Good?
Apr 12, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ABXG

Head-Fier
So I decided that if I am going to upgrade my sound card I may as well upgrade the rest of my PC audio system as well (and I am sticking with PC because of games and the fact that I can store over 1TB of music/video if I where so inclined to, it is just convenient to have an all-in-one solution). So now I am looking at the upper limit of what I can do without jumping up the cost a fair bit.

This is what I am currently looking at doing:

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar D2X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD595
Amp: Sonic T-AMP 2ND Generation
This setup would cost be just under $600 CAD with shipping.

I will only be ordering from NCIX.com (for a couple of reasons) unless I can be convinced that I could gain something significant from ordering else where. This choice does however limit what hardware I can select from.

What I am really wondering now is whether or not the amp that I selected will be powerful enough to properly drive the headphones, what is the quality of the amp (reviews are hard to find), is there a better solution in a similar price range that I could easily order from Canada, and most importantly, how well will the amp work with the other components that I have selected (compatibility + sound quality)?

I appreciate any and all help.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 4
The t-amp is for speakers, not headphones. It does have a little jack for headphones, but it sounds terrible with headphones. It's a great speaker amp for small speakers, but it's not suitable for what you're trying to do. You would need a headphone amplifier.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Can you give me any suggestions for a headphone amp? I am having a hard time figuring out all this amp stuff and if I can't figure this out I may just scrap upgrading my headphones and stick with my Icemat Siberia's that seem to do just fine running off the my sound cards headphone jack.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 4
HD595s are easy to drive. You can decide which headphone amp to get later.

another suggestion is trying to look at the F/S forum. I think there are some Canadian guys selling their amps, and you can PM them for any question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back