LouisLoh

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a DAP that 

1. synergizes well with JH13 Pros
2. has either native or third party (rockbox?) .flac support
3. has either native or third party gapless playback

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 2
Bump :)

My JH13s arrived some two weeks ago and I have been listening to them on my iPod classic almost exclusively.

Recently my brother just got his MacBook Pro and I had a listen through its HO. Though there was some significant static interference, Compared to the iPod it had a much much much wider soundstage and much more pronounced bass (boy do they sound satisfying) and mids. Pianos sound weightier like they're supposed to, vocals are more lifelike etc etc.

Guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm still very inexperienced when it comes to sources and amps. I love the general signature of my 13s but right now I cannot be satisfied by the output of the iPod alone.

Begs the same question that I asked earlier in this thread.

Now I'm contemplating between a 2/3-piece iPod rig and a 1-piece player. Options are mainly but not restricted to:

1. iPod + amp (I really need lotsa information about amps that synergize well with the 13s)
2. iPod + CLAS + amp
3. iPod + Fostex HP-P1
4. Other high end player such as DX100 or HM801, with or without extra setup.

My priorities are:

1. Retains (or amplifies) the attributes of the 13s that I adore like sparkly trebles, detailed, fast PRaT
2. Better bass reproduction
3. More mids emphasis
4. Soundstage
5. Cost-effectiveness
6. Portability (only when two rigs are very similar sounding would portability be a deciding factor)
7. I'm in the midst of upgrading my library to ALAC but I do archive FLAC as well. Thus, as long as the player can play either format it would be fine.

Edit: I listen to classical (lotsa piano, violin, cello, oboe, clarinet and orchestral as well), indie pop/rock/folk (Fleet Foxes, The Civil Wars, Cults, Girls; generally a lot of piano and acoustic guitar, lighter drums), quite a lot of female vocals (Regina Spektor, Adele, Birdy), as well as contemporary compositions by Joe Hisaishi, Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Yanni, John Williams, Jon Schmidt. I also indulge in thumping bass occasionally.

TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back