Looking for DAC to eliminate computer static/replace CD player
Dec 13, 2006 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johnbon

New Head-Fier
Greetings everyone, my first post here (although I must confess I've been lurking for a bit
tongue.gif
)

I'd like to ask you all if getting a DAC would perhaps eliminate the static buzz I hear from my computer, which is hooked up to my analog amplifiers? (Rotel RTC-940AX/RB970-BX)

For some extremely odd reason at some times of the year when I change my setup and hook everything up again, I get an extremely clean sound with NO static whatsoever, and then at other times (like recently when I changed my setup around again) I get a really awful amount of static buzz coming through the input I have my computer hooked up to. I run a 1/4" -> Standard RCA cable from my M-Audio 192 card into the Rotel's AUX input directly, so it could be a grounding issue but I really have no idea how I would correct that.

So at the moment I am just burning all my music to CDR's and playing them from my CD player instead, and it's becoming just a bit of a hassle
tongue.gif
. I have been thinking of upgrading my CD player for some time now (an older Sony CDP-c701ES), but now I'm thinking that money might be better put to use invested in a good DAC to connect my computer to my amplifiers.

I don't really have a specific cost in mind, although I would really prefer to keep it around $500 US, and most definitely would not want to go any higher than $1000 US total cost including shipping & duties (I live in Canada).

Do you guys have any recommendations or suggestions? Or maybe there's a different soundcard or component that would better suit this purpose?

Thanks guys!
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi there,
Not sure about M-Audio card input/output lines and software, but are you sure you muted aux and microphone lines from the software? That might be the cause for computer static.
I had the same problem with my Creative SB when I got a new TV tuner that uses (and automatically un-mutes) the aux for sound.

Dec 15, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 5
I hadn't thought of that, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem
frown.gif

I thought it was my power bar but I've tried several different ones and even a power conditioner lately, none of them seem to make any difference.

It's only the input the computer is hooked up to that I hear the buzzing on, so I thought getting a proper DAC to convert the signal might fix it, but I kind of wanted to wait to hear from some people here before I go buy one.

Would really appreciate some input on the situation if anyone can help !

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Wow, thanks for that guide!

It's a little confusing though, when they are talking about grounding it seems they mean running some kind of ground cable or wire and attaching that to your equipment, then connecting it to a pipe or some object to ground it. I've thought of doing this but don't know what kind of wire to use and at what points I would attach it to on my equipment and where I would ground it to from there.

The problem described in the guide is indeed what I am experiencing though, even on my video channel I see those lines it talks about. I'd try to order some of the stuff they recommend but it seems like I am missing something first and may be just wasting money buying that stuff.

Currently all my stuff is run from one outlet, it's not by choice just that the room I have my setup in was very poorly designed and there is only one breaker and outlet for this area of the house. I'm going to try unplugging all sources connected to my amp except for my computer tommorow and see if that eliminates it. That guide has me thinking it may be something to do with my coaxial cable or likely even this extremely poor Monster power bar (which I plan to take back tommorow and just get a regular one).

Thanks again for that guide, if you have any more advice I am all ears
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back