Looking for DAC/pre/headphone amp for desktop
May 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

qveda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,  I want to "hi-fi" my home office.    For now, plan to use this primarily for my iMac as the source of digital files.

Was looking for desktop DAC/pre so I would have a volume control for powered speakers (Focal Alpha 80's,  or Emotiva Stealth 8's).   Was considering products like Cambridge DACmagic Plus,  or Emotiva Steath DAC.  Came across a review by Steve Guttenberg of the Audeze Deckhard  which he loves for use with  EL8's + powered speakers.  This got me thinking of putting more emphasis on the headphone amp section,  rather than a product that has a headphone jack as a feature, but not the main focus.

Can you help me narrow my search ?   

Features I'd like:   (budget is < $1000, (could go higher if really compelling , or useful for other future purposes)
  1. mostly likely USB input from iMac.  
  2. handle many types of digital files (don't currently have any DSD's, but may have in future)
  3. high SQ and enough power for headphones e.g.  Audeze LCDs. 
  4. volume control for pre-outs (to control level for pwr.speakers )  
  5. analog inputs for adding a turntable/phono in the future.
  6. portability could be a plus, yet still must work great for desktop 

Audeze Deckard seems like a great choice. it  mutes speakers when you plug in phones, can power wide variety of phones,  affordable ($700).

Where I could use help -- What other DAC/pre's should be on my short list for SQ + value?  

Chord Mojo comes to mind - feels too small for desktop use, and connectors, and controls are a cool but less convenient than a really nice volume knob.   Woo fireflies might work, but still need a DAC, and not sure they have all the features. 

At the upper end of my budget, there are  Schitt combos,  Oppo, Auralic Altair,  Mytek Brooklyn,. Questyle CMA800i ($2500) is probably outside my reach.   For my near term needs, these may be overkill.  

thanks!
-Qua

May 20, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 4
AudioGD NFB-29H should sound great for the money (I have the model below, the NFB-11). Has what you need in terms of pre-amp ouput and inputs.http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29H/NFB29HEN.htm

May 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Audio-GD NFB-29H should sound great for the money (I have the model below, the NFB-11). Has what you need in terms of pre-amp output and inputs.http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29H/NFB29HEN.htm

+1
Qveda, So far I've bought two DAC/amp from Audio-GD :)

May 21, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestion.  Audio-gd was off my radar screen but very well may be a great choice. I'll read some reviews.

I wonder if there are a portable products that I should consider that also work well for the desktop.  as I said, the Mojo form factor doesn't feel that great to me, but maybe iFi, or other  portable/transportables 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back