Looking for DAC / Headamp Recommendations for Grado SR325is
Nov 25, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Inniswhe

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a couple of DAC's and amps and have a couple of questions if anyone can enlighten me their experiences.

I am just getting into headphones after many tears of home system only listening. I bought a pair of Grado SR 325is' s to get started and am setting up two locations to listen in as follows:

Bedroom - want a DAC to decode Squeezebox touch output as well as digital signal from TV, probably coax. There is a optical out on the TV but I have to run 20ft to  the DAC so I will probably convert to coax first. Also that way I could use one DAC coax input for the TV and the optical for the Squeezebox out . I would like an amp as I read that the Grados improve significantly with an amp. I am wondering how much of a sound difference there is between a higher $ system like a Schiit DAC / AMP combos versus the Yulong D100 or Grant Fidelity Tube DAC -11 all in one options . The latter are about 1/2 the price.

Family Room - want a DAC to do multiple duty decoding another touch for headphone usage and speaker listening through an  integrated tube amp (Onix Melody SP-3) source and Focal 806V bookself speakers and a sub. I was thinking about the DAC options above as well as a Moon 100D so again is there much difference in the DAC sound quality . The moon is by far the most costly option I am considering here .
THe all in one Tube Dac 11 looks like a slick solution as there are so many outputs to connect to and has a place to tie in the SUB . The  Schiit Bitfrost sounds like it is a pretty good DAC for the $  but like the Moon 100D has limited  output options and will require a headphone amp be added.

Since most of these DACs are so new there is no comparisons out there yet that I can find and I have been reading alot so far.

Recommendation or comments appreciated.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back