Looking for DAC for HE-560 + H10
Dec 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nicoragua

New Head-Fier
Hi, 
Here is my rig : 
HE-560, H10, JDS Lab C5D as DAC (modded to use the analog input as Line-out. Using Tidal.

My problem is that I something find the sound to be too sibilant, so much that I have to EQ the treble -2db to get a acceptable sound on some records.
I believe my problem might be the DAC, that is why I'm looking for an upgrade.
I also get the feeling that I'm not getting the best out of this configuration in terms of "thickness" of sound, although the addition of the H10 really made a huge impact on this point (I was previoulsy amping with the C5D, which is way underpowered for HE560)
I don't have a target price in mind, but I don't want to over pay. I'm looking for something that will match the best the HE-560 that I love, and the H10, that I find pretty good. 

So far, I've been reading about : X20-pro, Mimby, Yggy, EC-Design Mosaic…

I'm a big fan of analog-like sound, looking more for warmth and laid-back than analytics sound. I listen to a lot of different musical styles.

What else can I add ? 

If anyone has a similar experience and has found his happiness with a specific DAC, I would love to know.
Any advice on how to improve my configuration would be very much appreciated,

Cheers

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 7
  Hi, 
Here is my rig : 
HE-560, H10, JDS Lab C5D as DAC (modded to use the analog input as Line-out. Using Tidal.

My problem is that I something find the sound to be too sibilant, so much that I have to EQ the treble -2db to get a acceptable sound on some records.
I believe my problem might be the DAC, that is why I'm looking for an upgrade.
I also get the feeling that I'm not getting the best out of this configuration in terms of "thickness" of sound, although the addition of the H10 really made a huge impact on this point (I was previoulsy amping with the C5D, which is way underpowered for HE560)
I don't have a target price in mind, but I don't want to over pay. I'm looking for something that will match the best the HE-560 that I love, and the H10, that I find pretty good. 

So far, I've been reading about : X20-pro, Mimby, Yggy, EC-Design Mosaic…

I'm a big fan of analog-like sound, looking more for warmth and laid-back than analytics sound. I listen to a lot of different musical styles.

What else can I add ? 

If anyone has a similar experience and has found his happiness with a specific DAC, I would love to know.
Any advice on how to improve my configuration would be very much appreciated,

Cheers

Personally, I've always found multibit dacs to sound more natural than many of their d/s counterparts.  With that in mind I'd look at the entire multibit line from Schiit.  With no price point given, I'm not sure which I would recommend to you.  You could try the mimby out and see if multibit is for you.  However you say you want a warmer sound, and the bimby (bifrost multibit) has a little more low end slam and is a tiny bit warmer overall.  These are both their lower cost multibit dacs.  If you REALLY like what you hear, you could step up to a Gumby or Yggy later down the road.  Unless of course cost is of no concern, then might as well go straight to the Yggy.

I would also suggest that the 560 can also be causing some sibilant issues.  The 560 is known to have a somewhat hot treble.  Some different pads help here.  The Focus A pads from hifiman and the lambskin leather pads from ZMF and MrSpeakers (lambskin oval/alpha pads) are all good options.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks mysticstryk for your recommendation,
I read about the bitfrost multibit, and it seems like it's has a terrific bang for the buck ratio. 
I don't mind saving a bit to buy a more expensive DAC, but I also want to invest in other equipments, such as op-amps for the H10, perhaps better cable (headfonia was saying that the Forzaworks cables helps on the treble too) and focus-a pads. So it seems that this Bimby might be a good, balanced choice. 
The Yggy seems like an end game choice, and I'm stll considering as an option. Do you believe that with my configuration it would make a significant difference ? I also think the bimby has a nice form factor, more compact. I'm using my gear in a work environnment and I prefer to keep it low-key. That's why I liked the Mosaic T form factor, but they seem to have discontinued it. I can only see the Mosaic UV on their website.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks mysticstryk
 for your recommendation,
I read about the bitfrost multibit, and it seems like it's has a terrific bang for the buck ratio. 
I don't mind saving a bit to buy a more expensive DAC, but I also want to invest in other equipments, such as op-amps for the H10, perhaps better cable (headfonia was saying that the Forzaworks cables helps on the treble too) and focus-a pads. So it seems that this Bimby might be a good, balanced choice. 
The Yggy seems like an end game choice, and I'm stll considering as an option. Do you believe that with my configuration it would make a significant difference ? I also think the bimby has a nice form factor, more compact. I'm using my gear in a work environnment and I prefer to keep it low-key. That's why I liked the Mosaic T form factor, but they seem to have discontinued it. I can only see the Mosaic UV on their website.

You would probably want to swap out that H10 at some point if your wanting to get serious with an Yggy. If you go with even just a Mimby, I think the H10 already becomes a bottleneck in your system, certainly with an Yggy.

I wouldn't worry about cables right now. Measurements show they make almost no audible difference and even if they did, you would need significant upgrades to your upstream gear to hear it. Cables is something I'd only recommend if your at your end game and want that last 0.5% of refinement, if it refines anything at all. Careful what you read about cables, even from "professional" reviewers.

However if you just hate that terribly stiff cable that came with your 560 and want something that looks cool, check out Impact Audio Cables on Etsy. Can get a very well made and customized cable for under $100 there and they sound great!

The Focus A pads would be a good pad upgrade for the 560. It won't radically change the frequency response, but measurements do show that it balances out that upper end for smoother listening.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 7
So far I like my cheap little H10, I was thinking of giving him some Burson OpAmp for christmas, but was would you recommend could match Yggy awesomness ?
Thank you for the tips about the cables, it's last in my list. I was thinking that USB decrappifier could also be on that list, although using an older generation Mac Book pro I could also use S/PDIF.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 7
So far I like my cheap little H10, I was thinking of giving him some Burson OpAmp for christmas, but was would you recommend could match Yggy awesomness ?
Thank you for the tips about the cables, it's last in my list. I was thinking that USB decrappifier could also be on that list, although using an older generation Mac Book pro I could also use S/PDIF.

I would look into using spdif before spending on a USB decrapifier. Especially as you upgrade your equipment.

Something to match the Yggy? Well, there is a few options, I've only heard a couple of them but not specifically with the 560. I'd probably first take a look at the EC Black Widow. It's discontinued but pops up every now and then at just under $1.5k in the classifieds. Depends on your budget. Do some reading around about great combos with the 560.

As you get into that type of expensive equipment, it's super important to be careful what and who you get impressions from. Avoid flavor of the month products until they've been on the market for a good while and have established themselves as definite candidates. Make sure the info your getting is from posters who have a lot of experience with the high end and are straight and too the point.

I'll avoid giving more recommendations outside of "take a look at this" since like I said, I don't have extensive experience with the 560 with that kind of top end equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back