Looking for DAC and HPAmp
Jul 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AllTernative

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to update my audio setup.
The reason I want to do this is that I don't have to switch output devices in windows.

For that I acquired these components already, which I think sound pretty decent:
speakeramp: SMSL SA-36
speakers: DALI Zensor 1
headphones: Sennheiser HD598

For completing my setup I would be needing components to have the headphones and speakers connected in a line.

PC -> [] -> headphones / speakers

Recently I tested a "Xonar U7" connected through USB which features a headphone out. (I also had my speakeramp hooked onto it)
But when I changed the volume I noticed that it adjusts the windows volume, which is not what I intend to have.
I want to adjust volume for headphones and speakers in a separate way and still have windows volume as a global adjustment.

So I was told, that for my use case having a separate DAC and headphone amp would be the best.
I think it could look like that:

PC -> DAC -> HeadphoneAmp -> Headphones
-> SpeakerAmp -> speakers

This would imply that I can connect both amps to the DAC. Having the speaker amp connected to the headphone amp would be okay too, I just want to have both volume wheels seperately and not interfering.

Does this sound like a good idea, and are there any recommendations for this?

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 3
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z, $80, would allow all the hardware to be connected.
As it has separate output connection for the line-out (speakers) and the headphone jack (amped).
But not sure about separate volume control.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 3
It probably doesnt, since its a external soundcard like the Xonar U7.

I was told a DAC with volume control which is connected through usb adjusts the windows volume.

Thats why I probably need a separate DAC and Hpamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back