Looking for DAC/Amp, $500-$1000
Jan 4, 2019 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
With tax time around the corner, I'm mulling over the idea of buying a new DAC/Amp. In an effort to simplify my setup, I'd like it to be both in a single unit. The amp portion mainly needs to be powerful enough to power some of the more demanding low impedance headphones out there, like planar magnetics. Between it and my WA2 I'll have my bases pretty well covered.

I've got kind of a wide price range, because I'm not entirely sure what to expect. I figure I'll cast a wide net right now, then narrow down my actual budget once I have some gear to research.

I think within the price range it's reasonable to expect basically every input and output that's standard right now, right? So USB, Optical, as well as RCA in and out?

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, I'll put it on my radar!

I'm also looking at the Marantz HD-DAC1, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Keep the recommendations coming, though. I only have a couple options to look at right now, as most DAC/Amps fall into the ~$300 range, or the $3000 range, it seems.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 7
A DAC/amp combo around $1000? Hands down, I’d look at the Audio-gd R-28. It’s a bit above $1000 after shipping and custom options, but that back panel has everything you might possibly need. And that DAC section is incredible,

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 7
With tax time around the corner, I'm mulling over the idea of buying a new DAC/Amp. In an effort to simplify my setup, I'd like it to be both in a single unit. The amp portion mainly needs to be powerful enough to power some of the more demanding low impedance headphones out there, like planar magnetics. Between it and my WA2 I'll have my bases pretty well covered.

I've got kind of a wide price range, because I'm not entirely sure what to expect. I figure I'll cast a wide net right now, then narrow down my actual budget once I have some gear to research.

I think within the price range it's reasonable to expect basically every input and output that's standard right now, right? So USB, Optical, as well as RCA in and out?

AudioGD NFB-28

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 7
A used Chord HUGO generation 1 would also fall into that price range. After the Hugo 2 came out their prices dropped significantly.

After getting a Chord Mojo I am really in love with the Chord DAC technology and got a 2Qute (=HUGO 1 DAC w/o HP amp) for my stereo. Totally transformed it. Especially soundstage and separation, paired with clarity and smooth details.
That said, from following @ProtegeManiac I am always interested in what he has to say!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back