Looking for computer speakers
Dec 10, 2012 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lawless420

New Head-Fier
I used to have the Logitech z-5500 speakers but they were damaged in a flood. I am looking for something to replace them. I have done some forum digging around on many different websites and people seem to think the z-5500 were over rated. If that is the case, what is better? As it stands now, I am considering buying the z-5500 from ebay used. People seem to say that they don't have any mids which I actually agree with, but if that's the case, what is a better option? My budget is around 300 dollars. I could stand to go a little higher. Space is not an issue, just price really. I would use the speakers mostly for music and gaming, and, occasionally, I watch movies on my computer.

Edit:
I guess I should say that I listen to electronic music mostly, I know from reading here that music genre can be a deciding factor. With that being said, I also like bass.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Get these Pioneer BS-21 Speakers as fronts and pair them with the Matching center speaker. For surrounds a refurbished pair of pyle cube speakers will work but if you can stretch it up a bit going for another pair of BS-21 would be best sound quality wise(Mind you can't wall mount these).  Get the Dayton Sub 1000 and hook everything up to this Onkyo Reciever

The best connection for highest possible sound quality would be using hdmi out from your graphics card to the receiver to altough optical out would work if you have a sound card that supports dolby digital live or dts interactive/connect that can compress the audio in realtime to send 5.1 sound over an optical which is needed for pc games since almost all of them use lpcm for there sound and optical only support 2 channels of that.  DVDs and Blurays already have a pre encoded doldy digital or dts soundtrack on them so they can just pass that on to the receiver but with hdmi is better as it can send uncompressed audio to up to 7 channels if available from the source material.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 10
I would like to start out by thanking you for responding. My only question is this: I have done some research on the Onkyo receiver and it seems like it isn't that reliable. Is this true?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I would like to start out by thanking you for responding. My only question is this: I have done some research on the Onkyo receiver and it seems like it isn't that reliable. Is this true?

I bought a refurbished onkyo htib from that site and everything including the receiver is working just fine 2 years later but it came with a higher model receiver you could also get this denon receiver instead and there is one year warranty if something does go wrong.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 10
At ur budget u have many choices in active mintors, youll get  better sound quality than computer speakers, only con is theres no sub if you you want that really overhyped boomy bass, of course u can add a sub but that would add to the cost.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 10
No Way!  Bose, Logitech and Creative?  No wonderful listening experience to be found there!

If you have the funds and are into surround sound, which is the best for gaming, grab a good receiver, surround system and a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back