Looking for Computer -> DAC/AMP? -> Speaker system - $950 MAX budget.
Feb 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JohnFoe

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new set-up for a speaker system in my room.  I need some recommendations because the information online - and even in this forum is just overwhelming.  I currently use headphones for my music, but I can't be wearing them all the time.  At the moment, I have a Creative Soundblaster ZXR card in my PC, and a Heed CanAMP for my headphones (AKG K701s).  

I've looked through older threads on speaker systems, but they are dated to a point where many of the prices have fluctuated greatly since time of post.

My music ranges from classical music (Beethoven/Robert W. Smith) to acapella to Lindsey Stirling (dubstep/violin) to full on techno/dance music such as David Guetta.

My current budget is ranging between $550 and $950 ($950 is like top-top end of the budget).  Should I be looking for a DAC/AMP?  What kind of speakers should I be looking for?  Can anyone give me a base build within that range?  And would I need a subwoofer or no?

Oh the room is about 12' x 16' if that makes a difference for sound quality (I'm really not that sure).

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 12
For that price, I think I would be looking at a proper speaker amp and a 2.1 set of passive speakers. For example, a pair of Ascend Audio CBM 170SE speakers is $350. A Hsu Research STF-2 subwoofer is $360. That leaves ~$250 for a nice AVR from Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 12
For that price, I think I would be looking at a proper speaker amp and a 2.1 set of passive speakers. For example, a pair of Ascend Audio CBM 170SE speakers is $350. A Hsu Research STF-2 subwoofer is $360. That leaves ~$250 for a nice AVR from Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc.

Do you believe that an AVR is the best option for this price range?   It looks like the Ascend Audio CBMs are really only available through them (I wouldn't purchase speakers second hand - don't trust that they're not blown out).  Same with the HSU Research STF-2.  

I also have a (slightly older) Onkyo TX-SR603X, DTX 96/24 AVR, but something was wrong with it the last time I had it running.  I'll have to check it again... but it had issues porting optical in.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Without a decent DAC, you'll be feeding that "proper Amp" some fairly mediocre sound.

For the price range, you could be looking at the Schiit Bifrost, which will blow that Soundblaster out of the water. Then go powered speakers for another $300.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Do you believe that an AVR is the best option for this price range?   It looks like the Ascend Audio CBMs are really only available through them (I wouldn't purchase speakers second hand - don't trust that they're not blown out).  Same with the HSU Research STF-2.  

HSU and Ascend are smaller Internet direct companies. Consequently, they typically provide comparable or even better values than equipment costing twice the price MSRP from traditional speaker companies that you find in stores. They don't have to incorporate a middle man into their prices, and they don't spend huge budgets on advertising.

I own Ascend speakers. Good stuff.

You might also look at the Chane A1rx-c for another good Internet direct speaker. I'd recommend picking from the HSU, Chane, and Ascend speakers. The HSU sub is a great sub for it's price.

Definitely see if your Onkyo is working before you think about spending money on an amp or receiver for the speakers. It might be an older model, but the basic amplifier and preamp capability will be as good as anything you can find new for $200 or $300 in an AVR. Also, if the firmware in it was acting flakey, research how to do a factory reset. It's not uncommon for AVRs to need that on occasion.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 12
I was just doing that as you responded Cel!

The Onkyo is working right now, which is fine by me - I'm running stereo direct via KabelDirekt cables in from my Soundblaster Card (as opposed to Optical Cable).  Anyways, bookshelves or a little larger are about what I would be able to go with as I'm rather constricted on the -actual- space I have for speakers.  The current one are old Advent Rubys which I had forgotten about (using them to test the system).  

You can see the space I have is rather limited...  and from the left corner of that desk to the bed post is ~ 1 foot of space, so I'm rather constricted there as well!  Apologies for the messy area and colour by the way!  The room is a work in progress.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Check out the computer setups in this thread.
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/397869/pictures-of-your-computer-rigs-post-them-here

This would be my list with your budget.  Note any good DAC and good active monitors will serve you well.
- Computer > Belkin Pro USB cable ($20) > Matrix Mini I Pro DAC ($470) > Blue Jeans Belkin 1800F XLR Cables ($40) > JBL LSR 305 Monitors ($300)

You do not need a sub since most music only goes down to 40 Hz, even Guetta's stuff.  I use his music for my low end sound tests, btw.  Subs additionally create integration problems with your room and speaker setup.

Active monitors will perform much, much better at your price point than any audiophile passive bookshelf speaker / integrated amp setup.  You will hear more speed, punch, and detail.  These links will help explain why.
- http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studio-monitors-buying-guide/
- http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/feature-article-active-speakers-12-2002.html

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 12
  The Onkyo is working right now, which is fine by me - I'm running stereo direct via KabelDirekt cables in from my Sound Blaster Card (as opposed to Optical Cable).  Anyways, bookshelves or a little larger are about what I would be able to go with as I'm rather constricted on the -actual- space I have for speakers.  The current one are old Advent Rubys which I had forgotten about (using them to test the system).  
You can see the space I have is rather limited...  and from the left corner of that desk to the bed post is ~ 1 foot of space, so I'm rather constricted there as well!  Apologies for the messy area and colour by the way!  The room is a work in progress.

I would guess the SB-ZxR's DAC chips are better then what you would find in that 9 year old Onkyo receiver.
So running analog from SB-ZxR to the Onkyo would make the most sense.
Both the Heed CamAmp and Onkyo would want to use the SB-ZxR's front speaker (RCA) output jack.
So I'm thinking running cables from the SB-ZxR Front Speaker (RCA) jacks to the line-inputs (RCA) on the Heed CamAmp, then cables from the Heed CamAmp line-output (RCA) to the line-input (RCA) on the Onkyo.

You might also try posting speaker/sub-woofer questions on the AVS forum website
Speakers
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/
Sub-woofer
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/

I would think an external DAC that would make a noticeable improvement over the SB-ZxR DAC feature, but would eat up too much of your audio budget.

If you more into music and not so much gaming, you could sell off the SB-ZxR and use that cash towards an external DAC.

Or even sell off the SB-ZxR and CamAmp and replace them with an Audio-GD NFB-15 or NFB-11, both are external DAC/amp, with a separate line-output (for the Onkyo).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm
Should leave you a little extra cash for speakers/sub-woofer.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Great! Might as well keep the Onkyo
smily_headphones1.gif

These EMP Teks are smaller than the other speakers: http://emptek.com/r5bi.php.

I'm sure this is an apples to oranges style question, but how do they sound in comparison to the CBMs?  Everything I've read about the CBMs are pretty much rave reviews.  I have enough space to place either bookshelf speaker on the desk, but powered speakers (like Pinky had suggested) are just way too large for the area that I have allowed.  

You might also try posting speaker/sub-woofer questions on the AVS forum website
Speakers
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/
Sub-woofer
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/

I would think an external DAC that would make a noticeable improvement over the SB-ZxR DAC feature, would eat up too much of your audio budget.

If you more into music and not so much gaming, you could sell off the SB-ZxR and use that cash towards an external DAC.

I'm a gamer as well, so the ZxR has to stay in the system!  However, seeing as I have an AVR that appears to work fine right now, that allows for space for the external DAC instead (if there is one that would make a noticeable difference in the system), and again wouldn't eat up -too much- money from the Sub/Speaker system.

I'll go check out the AVS forums in the meantime to see what they say: I have been hovering around their forums silently... kind of like I do here.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 12
  I'm a gamer as well, so the ZxR has to stay in the system!  However, seeing as I have an AVR that appears to work fine right now, that allows for space for the external DAC instead (if there is one that would make a noticeable difference in the system), and again wouldn't eat up -too much- money from the Sub/Speaker system.
I'll go check out the AVS forums in the meantime to see what they say: I have been hovering around their forums silently... kind of like I do here.

If you did decide you really want an external DAC (would hopefully be optical input).
You could sell off the SB-ZxR and replace it with a SB-Z OEM, or the best price on a used SB-Z.
As once you get an external (optical input) DAC, all the sound quality features (DAC & op-amps) on the SB-ZxR are bypassed (useless)
The SB-Z uses the same SoundCore3D audio processor as the SB-ZxR, so the SB-Z would still give you all the gaming features of the SB-ZxR.
So there would be extra cash leftover from the sale of the SB-ZxR (after buying the SB-Z OEM).

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm sure this is an apples to oranges style question, but how do they sound in comparison to the CBMs?  Everything I've read about the CBMs are pretty much rave reviews.  I have enough space to place either bookshelf speaker on the desk, but powered speakers (like Pinky had suggested) are just way too large for the area that I have allowed.  

I have not heard the EMP Teks. But my impression is that they are a very good performer at their price point, which is the ~ $200 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back