Looking for compatible iPhone IEM (with microphone))
Aug 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

James63

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered two iPhones (one 16G for me and one 8G for the wife). They will be here in about 7 days.

I am looking for a good set of IEM to replace the headphones that come with the G3 iPhone. I want them to have a microphone and a button that I can answer calls with (just like the ones that come with the phone). I know Shure makes a pair for about $100 but is there anything better out there?

It will be for casual listening (at lunch during work, etc) but I still want the best sound I can get. Anything under $500 is fair game. I like Senn 650s, and Grado's line. I value tonal balance above all things.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Shure makes a replacement cable for their headphones (or any headphone for that matter) for around $40. I use it with the SE310's and they work great. The only issue with other IEM's may be the cable length. It gives you a lot of freedom and the ability to upgrade down the road.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 7
triple fi vi??
just like the triple fi but for use with iphone!!
might be worth a shot!!
Can vouch for the triple fi but not heard the vi version.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron-Buddha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure makes a replacement cable for their headphones (or any headphone for that matter) for around $40. I use it with the SE310's and they work great. The only issue with other IEM's may be the cable length. It gives you a lot of freedom and the ability to upgrade down the road.

I can add the "push to talk" or what ever it is to any pair of headphones? Does it have a microphone in it too?

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Well I just looked at the "Music Phone Adapter" on Shure web site. I think it will make the cable to long. I need new IEM anyway so I think I will just get a new pair. Thanks anyway.

Has anyone heard Etymotic hf2?
Etymotic hf2 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I have heard Etymotic ER-6i before. They were ok a little bass shy. I don't want to go with shures just because I have had them in the past and want to get something different.

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah. It's the music phone adapter. On Shure IEM's, it replaces the regular cable. It's actually shorter than the one that came with the SE310's and sits right where the Y is. If you use it with other brands, it may very well be too long. I didn't know about this until recently. But I was happy that I could use my existing Shure's as a headset for my iPhone. If you go Shure for your new IEM, it's a worthwhile $40 upgrade.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back