looking for comfortable, sound-isolating IEM's under $200
Apr 17, 2011 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

noise-phobe

New Head-Fier
So I was posting in reference to this thread I started over in the full-size headphones sub-forum ..

I'm basically just trying to canvas my various options at this point .. IEM were something I'd kinda written off, given that I find foam earplugs to be pretty uncomfortable and intrusive, but is that a false comparison?

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 6
How about the hf5's with Shure olive tips? Comfortable and more isolation that actice NC can give. Sound is very clear, which I like, but they respond well to equalising.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello again!  If you're really apprehensive about getting a pair of IEMs, you should definitely buy them from somewhere that accepts returns so you can return them if you feel they're just not for you.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Just looked up the Amazon entry and they sound exactly like what I need. My only hesitancy is that I'm still not sure whether I'd be able to tolerate IEMs .. is there anyway I can get an idea of how intrusive they might be, i.e. are they at all like flange ear plugs?

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Just looked up the Amazon entry and they sound exactly like what I need. My only hesitancy is that I'm still not sure whether I'd be able to tolerate IEMs .. is there anyway I can get an idea of how intrusive they might be, i.e. are they at all like flange ear plugs?

Tri-flange (or bi-flange) tips are known for being generally less comfortable than your average single-flange tip.  If comfort is a priority, foam tips are supposed to be very comfortable (search Comply on amazon) but are more expensive and don't last very long (a few weeks to a few months depending on how much you use them, how clean your ears are and how well you take care of them).

However, tri and bi-flange tips are known for having the best possible isolation next to customs.  Another option for tips are the sony hybrids, which are known to be quite comfortable as well, and last longer (and often sound better) than foam tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back