Looking for comfortable "shallow" IEM (Jays, Philips, Klipsh, or alternatives)
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys. I am seeking an IEM for portable and office use, but my ears seem to be particularly fussy in terms of fit and comfort. I have tried various in-ears, including the Westone UM2 (which are meant to be amonst the most comfortable) but they did not work out too well - short Comply tips and they did not sound great; long Comply tips sounded good but really hurt.

I am currently using a pair of Sony MDR-EX81 earphones which are amongst the few which I find reasonable comfortable - I believe these are termed "shallow inserting" IEMs?

hp_no_lg_so_mdrex81slb.jpg

I am looking at the Jays range at the moment - the Q-jays very smal (and potentially very comfortable), but are quite a bit more than I had hoped to spend. I am considering the D-jays and S-jays too, though S-jays seem perhaps a bit large.

Are there any other shallow-inserting IEMs you could suggest for good comfort and an upgrade to the EX81? Alternatives I am considering are:
- Philips SHE9800
- Klipsch Custom-2
- Head-Direct RE1

Cheers
X

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 27
Thanks for the feedback. Though relatively large, they do seem to be comfortable as per many reviews I have read. I am also particularly interested in the likes of the Philips SHE9800 though there are not many reviews of this.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Apple In-ear. The most comfortable IEM I have ever used.

Yes, as good as Stax and the K1000 (as per your comments in other threads), we get it.

Anyways on a more serious note, in terms of shallow I mean those which are around 8-9mm insertion (as described in the IEM sticky); as opposed to those which are 11-12mm insertion which form a true seal.

In terms of sound signature - for an IEM I prefer something warm, full bodied, with good bass....something "fun" and "forgiving" as opposed to "light", "accurate", "clinical". Would like to stay under $150 if possible. Will be used unamped.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 27
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the AH-C751 a few times and they were ok - great sound, but were quite big and heavy for long-term use
frown.gif

Is it worth looking at the S-jays and D-jays in terms of comfort/fit?

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 27
Phonak PFE could be a really good choice. They are super comfortable and shallow (but not in sound quality!). I think they're getting over some quality issues but have been great w/ customer service.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 27
Sennheiser IE series is also shellow insert. you may want to consider that too. PFE is nice, love them both

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 27
The IE7 is one of my options (though a bit over target price).

Phonak are unfortunately not available here and none of the retailers/distributors ship here either. Does anyone know anywhere these can be purchased which ship internationally?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 27
I have read quite a few reviews of the Klipsch Custom 2's - they seem to have the kind of sonic signature that I am looking for. Apart from some cable complaints, most users seem to be happy with it. Right now it is a toss up between that, the Philips SHE9800 and the S-Jays.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 27
Thanks mark2410 - I reread a number of reviews and most mentioned troubles getting the right fit, but good comfort once that was achieved.

However at their price, I am worried they may turn out uncomfortable and not usable.

That would narrow it down tot he SHE9800 and the S-Jays - any suggestion/advice?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back