Looking for comfortable quality headphones - any suggestions?
Nov 30, 2006 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vikaskoth

New Head-Fier
I'm new to these forums. I've been reading them a little for the past two weeks. I am looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that are comfortable enough to wear for 4-6 hrs while i'm studying.

I have some Shure E3c's and I use them a lot but Id like to have a different pair. I bought the Senn HD280 pros for this reason, the sound quality is great and they block outside noise which is nice while i'm studying but I don't like wearing them for more than 2-3 hrs and I find myself constantly adjusting my glasses. I was hoping the knowledgable folks here might have some recommendations

These would be used with a Creative Zen Touch mp3 player in Coffeehouses and Libraries mostly.

What i'm looking for
-Comfort - (4+hrs, I wear glasses)
-Quality - (should be similar to my Shures and Senns)
-Price - (looking around $100, $150-200tops)
-Open/Closed- (Any Closed ones like this?)

My brother has some Senn HD485, I think my 280s sound a little better, but his 485's are definitely more comfortable. The top ones i'm considering are the Sennheiser HD 555 & 595 but I don't know too much about other brands.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 11
Beyerdynamic's DT770 series are one of the ultimate headphones for comfort. Nothing beats the soft plushness of those velour pads!

Audio-Technica A-series and AD-series headphones also have an excellent reputation.

Both are well within your budget limit, if you shop around, and both are closed (with the exception of the AD-series) so gather impressions and pick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I second the Beyerdynamic nod but I'm unfamiliar with the DT770 since I own the DT880, which I happen to find very comfortable. In fact, they are by far the most comfortable of the four pairs of headphones I own. DT880s, AKG K701s (second most comfortable) Sennheiser HD650s (a close third) and Ultrasone Proline 750s (a very distant last).

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the comments. I found a pair of Beyer Dt 880 for $150(other sites 220 and up) online this seems like a huge deal, should i jump on this?

Also will the beyers work fine with my mp3 player, since thats what i use the most?

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikaskoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments. I found a pair of Beyer Dt 880 for $150(other sites 220 and up) online this seems like a huge deal, should i jump on this?

Can I have a link for this, please?

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 11
I would heartily suggest a used pair of Sennheiser HD-580s. They are my current study cans, and I can wear them for 15 hours straight and never feel a dang thing. The Beyers are significantly less comfortable, IMHO.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 11
tuhnu - search on pricegrabber.com and it should come up.

The impedance on these dt 880's is listed at 250ohms. I don't really understand impedance but from what i've seen on these forums it matters for use b/w a stereo receiver at home and an mp3 player. Is 250 too high for mp3 players?

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikaskoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tuhnu - search on pricegrabber.com and it should come up.

The impedance on these dt 880's is listed at 250ohms. I don't really understand impedance but from what i've seen on these forums it matters for use b/w a stereo receiver at home and an mp3 player. Is 250 too high for mp3 players?

It depends on your listening preferences, but I wouldnt use a 250ohm phone on any mp3 player, since to get decent volumes youre going to be max'ing out the amp. For mp3 use, I would try to stick below 100ohms.

Remember that volume is a function of impedence AS WELL as sensitivity. So be sure to look at both those factors.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on your listening preferences, but I wouldnt use a 250ohm phone on any mp3 player, since to get decent volumes youre going to be max'ing out the amp. For mp3 use, I would try to stick below 100ohms.

This is wrong: it depends on the mp3 player actually. I have a couple of flash players which can drive the DT880s extremely loud. Those are Korean players. OTOH, the Creative models I've owned are anemic so, altohugh I don't know that model, I'm not sure pairing a Beyer with the OP's player is such a good idea... one would have to measure the output of that particular player.

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Ok after spending way too much time on this site and the HeadWize forums I've narrowed down my choices. I was very close to just buying the senn hd 595 but i realized that isolation is probably as important as comfort for me. The beyer dt880 look so sweet, but from everyones advice they won't fly with an mp3 player and the dt770 80ohm are too much.

I'm gonna go with either the
AudioTechnica A700's or the Beyer DT 250 80ohm

I've read a lot of positive things about the A700's. I'm still curious what people might choose b/w these two. Has anyone heard both of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back