Looking For Comfortable Headphones
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HemiSam

1000+ Head-Fier
Deals forum to the rescue....

Looking for a super comfortable for long listening sessions pair of wired, over the ear headphones that are easily driven by a phone / laptop and have good construction quality for a college student...male at that. Budget upper end is $250 and preferably below. Leaning towards a neutral sound signature but doesn't have to be brutally so...I'm a bit flexible here.

Recommendations / deals that scratch the itch? Good construction and super comfy are musts as are over the ear.

Thanks.

HS

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 9

Looking for a super comfortable for long listening sessions pair of wired, over the ear headphones that are easily driven by a phone / laptop and have good construction quality for a college student...male at that. Budget upper end is $250 and preferably below. Leaning towards a neutral sound signature but doesn't have to be brutally so...I'm a bit flexible here.

Recommendations / deals that scratch the itch? Good construction and super comfy are musts as are over the ear.

Thanks.

HS

Massdrop now has HD6xx and HE4xx now for sub-200. HD6xx probably can use an amp to sound better.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Open or c

Thanks.

HS[/QUOTE
Open or closed? Open, maybe Hifiman 400i? Closed, RBH HP-2? You might still see the sale for the HP-2 on their site for $139. And 400i is going for under $200 in a couple places.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 9

Thanks.

HS

Massdrop x E-MU Purpleheart. Only $75

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 9
@HemiSam

+1 on planar HE-400"i" version (35 ohm), as another fellow posted, have been as low as $199. "S" version drives easier (25 ohm) from phones per design, but have not heard "S" version.

Also, keep an eye on seller "deal.fisher" on ebay...if not in a hurry...back in early Sept I got a nice set of dynamic cans - the Master & Dynamic MH40 in brown/silver version (has other colors when he has in stock) for $185 shipped, sealed, 1st quality goods, warranted. Highly recommended cans- very enjoyable right out of the box, 32 ohm. Haven't used either from a phone, check impedance & with others in forums about driving them.

There are probably more to recommend for a good deal (ex: HD-600 & HD-6XX, SR-60e & upward models too, HD-681 or 668B, TH-02=CT-H02, ON2, EMU walnut-purpleheart, Jubilate Hi-Ed or 64, DT770-880-990, MDR-7506 & MDR-V6) which are all nice performers (own most of these) in a very competitive segment, some with differing sound signatures. Those are known brands, and there are even some lesser brand names, asian varieties too.

If going HE-4XX, just add $20 to get HE400"i" version instead, have both & am burning in 4xx now, but so far very unimpressed with them, yet "i" version is wonderful.

MH-40 comes right to mind though if he gets them back in stock - can't go wrong & built like a tank for college handling ! Really enjoyable sound.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 9
My apologies...a deal on a CLOSED BACK, wired, over the ear, easy to drive, fairly neutral and well built cans.

The HD6XX's are hard to drive. I own 650's...love them but I have serious amps.

I'll check out the purple hearts on MD now....

Thanks to GT, luvmusic, and RoMee!

Thank you Deals forum...FTW!

HS

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 9
My apologies...a deal on a CLOSED BACK, wired, over the ear, easy to drive, fairly neutral and well built cans.

The HD6XX's are hard to drive. I own 650's...love them but I have serious amps.

I'll check out the purple hearts on MD now....

Thanks to GT, luvmusic, and RoMee!

Thank you Deals forum...FTW!

HS
The Focal Listen ticks most of these boxes, but they could be a bit more comfortable. Still good enough for wearing them all the time at the office, though.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 9
@HemiSam

+1 on HD650, they scale very well. I don't use any types i-phone(s) for listening, am older-guy, big RTR/vinyl/analog fan, but also CD/SACD too secondarily. HD650 are power hungry & not sure if even the new totl hi-power-out music players & phones can drive them, nor certainly do any justice with them if so. I have the original HD650, the first year they were issued. Plus along with scaling, the veil lifts away with the right amp. Just an aside, as your search is for these listed here below -

Another rec for your search may be the Audio Technica ATH-M50X. Have not heard these, they are well liked by many, maybe not exactly neutral, but deals abound thru the holidays. On Ty's WOF, and not likely the boy would have them stolen in college.

A site that lists daily headphone deals across the web is - http://deals.headphonesnao.com/ - It's cool to save to toolbar as a fave & check daily. Most good sales show up there daily & quickly.

Of the models I posted earlier, the EMU-walnut-purpleheart wood cups are woodied Creative Aurvana Live!, which are found for less. Fits your checklist, but not the most durable models for college.

Re: Fischer Audio Jubilate, 2 versions 64 & HiEd are same exact sound, just different woods; I got 2 pairs different woods, 1 set $145 Padauk "64" model, the other $98 Peruvian Walnut High Edition from headsound in Germany on sale (dunno if they have any now) 2 years ago. Fabulous wood craftsmanship & sound for the price - built well, but so darn good looking, they may just vanish in college.

Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6 nearly identical sound, a fabulous buy, got my 7506 for $65 last year.

Sleeper Tascam TH-02 (have black) is same as Teac CT-H02, and is sensational for tiny dollars. Very durable for college, easily replaceable. Got 2 ( TWO ! ) sets for $30 from Musician's Friend SDOTD for total shipped of only $30 three years ago, but these are often found for $20 per set. Even Ty remarked about their fantastically measuring lo-freq square waves. For such a price, killer deal -great for college, or giving around for gifts. Folks love these (some say their better than upper models same 2 brands). Sorta like a sturdier Superlux (681 or 668B), but closed back, not semi-open.

So, if giving for college use, the Master & Dynamic MH40 and Fischer Audio Jubilate 64-High Edition versions are both sturdy built, beautifully crafted & sound great for the price, but, most likely desired by others with slippery hands if they grab them, unless that's not an issue.

(EMU-walnut <own these> or purpleheart/CAL! may be too dainty for college handling, but check all your boxes, unless careful with them).

The Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Tascam TH-02/Teac CT-H02 versions and Sony MDR-7506/V6 versions sound great, won't likely be stolen.

Have all of these except Audio Technica; they are all sealed closed back, wired, neutral or very close so, easy to drive and sturdy.

Best rec's from owning these; they ALL punch above their price, deliver well & are good deals - great bang for the buck ; hope it helps !
LM

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 9
@HemiSam

+1 on HD650, they scale very well. I don't use any types i-phone(s) for listening, am older-guy, big RTR/vinyl/analog fan, but also CD/SACD too secondarily. HD650 are power hungry & not sure if even the new totl hi-power-out music players & phones can drive them, nor certainly do any justice with them if so. I have the original HD650, the first year they were issued. Plus along with scaling, the veil lifts away with the right amp. Just an aside, as your search is for these listed here below -

Another rec for your search may be the Audio Technica ATH-M50X. Have not heard these, they are well liked by many, maybe not exactly neutral, but deals abound thru the holidays. On Ty's WOF, and not likely the boy would have them stolen in college.

A site that lists daily headphone deals across the web is - http://deals.headphonesnao.com/ - It's cool to save to toolbar as a fave & check daily. Most good sales show up there daily & quickly.

Of the models I posted earlier, the EMU-walnut-purpleheart wood cups are woodied Creative Aurvana Live!, which are found for less. Fits your checklist, but not the most durable models for college.

Re: Fischer Audio Jubilate, 2 versions 64 & HiEd are same exact sound, just different woods; I got 2 pairs different woods, 1 set $145 Padauk "64" model, the other $98 Peruvian Walnut High Edition from headsound in Germany on sale (dunno if they have any now) 2 years ago. Fabulous wood craftsmanship & sound for the price - built well, but so darn good looking, they may just vanish in college.

Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6 nearly identical sound, a fabulous buy, got my 7506 for $65 last year.

Sleeper Tascam TH-02 (have black) is same as Teac CT-H02, and is sensational for tiny dollars. Very durable for college, easily replaceable. Got 2 ( TWO ! ) sets for $30 from Musician's Friend SDOTD for total shipped of only $30 three years ago, but these are often found for $20 per set. Even Ty remarked about their fantastically measuring lo-freq square waves. For such a price, killer deal -great for college, or giving around for gifts. Folks love these (some say their better than upper models same 2 brands). Sorta like a sturdier Superlux (681 or 668B), but closed back, not semi-open.

So, if giving for college use, the Master & Dynamic MH40 and Fischer Audio Jubilate 64-High Edition versions are both sturdy built, beautifully crafted & sound great for the price, but, most likely desired by others with slippery hands if they grab them, unless that's not an issue.

(EMU-walnut <own these> or purpleheart/CAL! may be too dainty for college handling, but check all your boxes, unless careful with them).

The Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Tascam TH-02/Teac CT-H02 versions and Sony MDR-7506/V6 versions sound great, won't likely be stolen.

Have all of these except Audio Technica; they are all sealed closed back, wired, neutral or very close so, easy to drive and sturdy.

Best rec's from owning these; they ALL punch above their price, deliver well & are good deals - great bang for the buck ; hope it helps !
LM

AWESOME recommendations, luv....THANK YOU!

I own ATH-M50's. Only thing I've done to them after many years was recently replace the pads with the Brainwavz leather jobbies. Very nice upgrade to the comfort. Much nicer on the ears.

I run my HD650's out of a Ygg >> Woo WA7, but to be frank they didn't do a lot for me. Then I purchased a used Headamp GS-1 with the upgraded dynalo+ boards (Kevin Gilmore design) and...WOW. Absolutely love them. Use them more than my Stax rig which is saying something.

I'm liking the Sony and AT recommendations well. Good thinking!!! I agree the M&D's and EMU's may go missing... Too purdy...LOL

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back