Looking for comfortable, durable open-back headphones for all-day use under $100
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 34
Philips 9500 is a good choice in this price range...there is no difference between the 9500 and the 9500s, they are identical.
If you can find the open backed version of the Brainwavz HM5 that's also an excellant choice in this price range. It has been sold under a bunch of different names: Spadger CD990, Monoprice HR5, Lindy HF110
Sometimes they come with velour pads...if they don't you can get cheap velours anywhere. They can be had cheap, are comfortable, relatively durable and they sound good out of the box. (and with some simple mods you can make them sound REALLY good)

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 34
Thank you all for the suggestions.

So, at this point it looks as follows (based on availability and pricing, which differs insanely between Europe and the US):
Koss Porta Pro for work and occasional listening while working.
Most probably, Philips SHP9500(S) when I want to get very comfy and cozy in the evenings.

After that, I might consider also AKG K702 (which are much cheaper in Europe than in the US), but only if I'm not satisfied enough with SHP9500.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 34
Thank you all for the suggestions.

So, at this point it looks as follows (based on availability and pricing, which differs insanely between Europe and the US):
Koss Porta Pro for work and occasional listening while working.
Most probably, Philips SHP9500(S) when I want to get very comfy and cozy in the evenings.

After that, I might consider also AKG K702 (which are much cheaper in Europe than in the US), but only if I'm not satisfied enough with SHP9500.
Those are both good choices. I would recommend getting Yaxi pads for the Portapros. You can improve the comfort, sound and looks of the SHP9500s pretty easily. There are a lot of simple mods that don't cost a lot and aren't hard to do.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #22 of 34
Sennheiser HD559?

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #24 of 34
Yep, also a good option. I've heard they can get a bit boomy but they might be a good fit for my small-ish head; Philips could be too loose (unless I add the mode with large pads).
My favorite in this price range was the PX100 but they don't make it anymore.

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #25 of 34
While browsing local shops, I noticed an interesting model: Audio Technica ATH-TAD400 (discontinued by AT now but still available in my country). While newer AT models are unreasonably expensive in Europe, ATH-TAD400 is still under $100.

I've heard that AT often are more durable than other brands and also they often have a long cable. Not sure about ATH-TAD400.

Is ATH-TAD400 an upgrade or a downgrade when compared to Superlux and Samson SR850 and Philips SHP9500, in terms of balanced sound?
The next AT step-up ATH-AD500X costs 170 and is out of stock in most local shops.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #26 of 34
Have you considered used? That would open up all your options as new under $100 is very limited.

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #27 of 34
I'm a bit wary of used headphones because I've read that some models have some characteristic defects (e.g. AKG elastic bands and plastic parts breaking with time). In my country used headphone market is non-existent, so I can buy only from eBay, but that adds noticeable shipping costs and sometimes even customs when buying from outside of Europe.
If it's a minor defect (pads, wire) I can fix it myself; I can solder. However, if it's some worn out mechanical detail there's not much I can do.

Do you have any suggestions on which brands and models are safe to buy used?

While browsing eBay, I noticed some tempting ATH-AD500X deals from Japan about $100, both new and used, and some offer free shipping. Is ATH-AD500X aging well? Is it safe to buy it used? Would it be noticeably better than Philips SHP9500 (which I can get for about $60 from AliExpress)?

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #28 of 34
The AD500X and the SHP9500 are two wildly different headphones, complete opposites of each other though both good at what they do.

One is bass light with a nice wide soundstage and great at more critical listening (AD500x) and the other one is a basshead "fun" sort of thing that's great for your hip-hop/pop/top 40 sort of thing. Its not an improvement or not, its just a completely different thing.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #29 of 34
Hmm, I've heard the opposite - that SHP9500 can be lacking bass, although I guess that was regarding sub-bass, and it can be boomy in mid-bass. But also someone wrote that SHP9500 reacts to EQ-ing very well, so the bass can be tamed:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-philips/shp9500/

However, I managed to find a small local internet store that has Beyerdynamic DT880 (Edition) and DT990 for a reasonable price - these might be more neutral than SHP9500. But if I can get more accurate bass from SHP9500 with some EQ-ing, I guess, it's not worth paying for Beyers.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #30 of 34
Beyerdynamic DT880 (Edition) and DT990 for a reasonable price
In your budget - do not rely on the versatility of sound signature and quality improvement both (SR850 - good for their segment).
Increase your budget to fidelio x2hr (~150$) - and get everything.
I will not dissuade you from 880 990, these models have both fans and opponents ...look.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back