looking for comfortable , closed back headphones for 300-500$
Nov 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TJRIV

New Head-Fier
My Dads looking for a new set of cans and I thought I'd consult you guys for some advice.

Hes looking for a pair of comfortable headphones , with high sound quality. Preferably something he can use on a plane but that's a secondary use.

Comfort is huge for him , he had a pair of PSB m4u2s but found them to be too uncomfortable(and actually lost them on the plane, yikes ). Those were noise cancelling but he's thinking of moving away from that for sound quality.

He woul prefer a pair with a detachable cord, and one that could be used with out an amp. However he has a portable e11 amp and wouldn't mind a pair that would be improved by an amp.

Any suggestions would be great! Budget is flexible(if paying a bit more would be a huge improvement) and IEMs could be an option however he's concerned about comfort with those..... I'm kind of new to the headphone world my self so not really sure his best option!

Thanks a lot !

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 8
What source would the headphones be used with?  A phone, laptop, or maybe a DAP?  Any idea on the type of sound he'd like, e.g. something neutral or maybe something bass boosted with subdued treble?

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 8
He listens to mainly folk , rock and blues so I wouldn't say bass heavy just sort of neautural ,fun, warm headphones. He generally used his laptop, the TV(if he's watching movies alone), or his galaxy s4 for the source.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Hmm in that case, maybe the SoundMagic HP150?  I never heard it myself but it's known to have a sort of neutral sound, while being rather fun at the same time, and they're closed.  Their comfort is regarded well enough it seems.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 8
It sounds to me like he really should be using a good pair of IEMs, not headphones. He could get high isolation, portability, high efficiency (no amp needed) and great sound. I would be looking at the Westone UM30, Shure SE535, Ultimate Ears UE900, or one of the other really nice IEMs in that price range.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 8
i second the soundmagic hp100 / hp150 (i have the hp100) . some people have comfort issues because of the depth of the pads (it takes me like 3 hours to start feeling i need to get them off for a moment). you can buy ath w1000x pads (50$) or beyer custom one pro's pads (20-30$) and swap them with the soundmagic's , according to users in the headphone's thread it solves the comfort issues (especially the w1000x's pads , and they give more body to the sound as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back