Looking for comfortable closed back headphone upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Jul 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ripper2020

New Head-Fier
I currently own Audio Technica ATH-M50s and Sennheiser HD 598 headphones.  I'm looking for an upgrade to the m50's in comfort and hopefully sound quality as well.

I was looking at the oppo pm-3 but complaints about the ear cup size and comfort have me worried.  I don't have any local shops nearby where I could test high end headphones so I'm looking for some recommendations.  I will be using them for PC gaming and music listening, all genres.  My budget max is probably about $400 although if there is a pair that's highly recommended I could probably stretch it a little higher.  

I should mention that I don't find the m50's very comfortable - I generally can't wear them for more than half hour without constantly shifting them to relieve pressure.

I'm looking for close back design to isolate some background noise at home.  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.    

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I hear ya. I have those 2 pairs of headphones you mentioned. I tried new earpads on the ATs which helped slightly but not enough to totally rid me of the hurt.

I'm still waiting on a pair of Fostex TH-X00 headphones to be delivered. I can't comment on the sound or comfort yet but they may work for you.
Another two headphones you may want to do research on are the Meze 99 Classics, and the B&O H6. I don't have any experience with these other than when I looked into them they were both reviewed as being comfortable and sounding good. Of course there will always be someone who says they found a certain comfortable headphone, uncomfortable. Especially if they happen to have a big melon or big ears.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 17
Yeah, I know headphones are very subjective but thanks for the input.  I have a fairly normal sized head and ears :)
Let me know what you think of the fostex when you get them - though they are probably out of my price range.  I looked at some cheaper fostex but they all seemed to be higher impedance.  I'm looking for something I can use with my cell phone / tablet.  They don't have to be ideal with those devices but usable.  

I'll look into the headphones you mentioned.  

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 17
The Th-X00 wants more power than a phone the Meze don't need much no idea on B&O' s have not heard them. The others are both comfortable . The Fostex have great bass and sound all around good I think I liked the Meze just a bit better overall . It is just a matter of preference as I would own both if I had the money. One thing the Meze's has going for it is that it is modular and the guys at Meze said they might be coming out with new drivers and cups that will just screw in. Not for sure they are doing it but they said it was a possibility in the future. Forget his name but super nice guy CanJam was just too much fun.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 17
I've been looking into the meze and the reviews are great. @buke9 could you give me any more info on them? You think they would work fine powered by a phone / tablet? Do you think it would be a pretty big upgrade over the m50's? Lastly, do they do a decent job at isolating external noise? Thanks in advance!

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 17
I've been looking into the meze and the reviews are great. @buke9 could you give me any more info on them? You think they would work fine powered by a phone / tablet? Do you think it would be a pretty big upgrade over the m50's? Lastly, do they do a decent job at isolating external noise? Thanks in advance!
Can't give you much more info than what the reviews will give you. They look sweet sound good and are comfy and well built . They do isolate fairly well as I remember I think there are others that do better but I didn't notice a big problem when I heard them at CanJam and it's pretty loud there. 32 ohms 103db sensitivity yep a phone will run them as they come with two cables one is 4 foot long with controls and a mic the other is 10 foot long I think and no controls. I have not heard the 50's so I can't say for sure but they do sound really good .

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 17
Jul 27, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 17
I received the headphones in today.  They sound incredible - definitely a noticeable improvement over my 598's and m50's.  I'm not an audiophile so I can't use a bunch of fancy adjectives to describe them but overall they just sound more clear.  

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them though.  The ear cups are on the smaller side.  They fit around my ear, but just barely.  They head band is comfortable but the ear cups do put a bit of pressure on my ears.  I'm going to wear them for a few nights and see how it goes.  

I'm also looking at the Sony MDR-1A as they are pretty well reviewed, especially for comfort.  I may just order them as well and return whichever one I like least.  

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 17
I actually bought the b&o h6's based on the good reviews I've read and the ear cups are just as small (if not smaller) than the classics.  I don't need portability at all and would prefer something with larger ear cups.  Can anyone recommend something a little larger - at least with bigger ear cups.

BTW - the 99's, imo, sound better in every way the the b&0 h6's.  

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 17
I actually bought the b&o h6's based on the good reviews I've read and the ear cups are just as small (if not smaller) than the classics.  I don't need portability at all and would prefer something with larger ear cups.  Can anyone recommend something a little larger - at least with bigger ear cups.

BTW - the 99's, imo, sound better in every way the the b&0 h6's.  

Thanks for the info as I've considered both. Supposedly Meze is working on larger earcups for the 99.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 17
You could try stretching the headband a bit if clamp pressure is too much. I didn't wear them for too long but the didn't seem to be that bad for me but I'm not you and if you find them uncomfortable by all means get rid of them. It's a shame I think the sound very good and not bad for the price.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 17
@buke9 it is a shame. I think they are the best sounding headphones I've ever listened to ( for more than a few minutes ) I may end up keeping them depending on how the sonys sound and fit. Just wish there was more large ear cup models to choose from in this price range - closed back that is.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 17
@buke9 it is a shame. I think they are the best sounding headphones I've ever listened to ( for more than a few minutes ) I may end up keeping them depending on how the sonys sound and fit. Just wish there was more large ear cup models to choose from in this price range - closed back that is.
Yes I was sorry to hear they didn't fit for you because they sound so nice . I have not listened to any Sony's so can't say anything there. Sorry they didn't work out but I hope you can find something you can enjoy.

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 17
I really love the ATH-M50s soundwise, but I'm also looking for an upgrade that sounds like them/better, but are more comfortable.
Do the Meze 99s really _sound_ like the M50s? Can they handle loud sound pressures?

Any others to recommend?

(For reference, I also love my HD25s, and use a Violectric-amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back