Looking for comfier headphones than ath-m50
Jul 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AUDIO NEWBIE

New Head-Fier
I Like the ath-m50 sound but my ears rub up on the speaker grill inside because they stick out alot. The pads fit around my ears nicely besides that. I am looking for comfier headphones and can stretch my price to about 300-350 depending if the cans are worth it. I have only owned these but i like the sound. I listen to primarily bass heavier music but i would like a sound close to neutral but a little more bass heavier, the ath-m50 do good in the bass department. I would like a headphone with deeper ear cups than the ath-m50. I listen to music primarily on my iphone 5 and on my pc so it would be optimal if the suggested headphones are easily driven.
Priorities go like this: comfort>sound>easily drivable>price

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 21
What part of your ear specifically touches the driver grill? Your antihelix? (That is a problem I have encountered numerous times before.)

I bought my ATH-M50 used. The stock pads were already cracked and stiff, so the seller included a new pair of Shure SRH840 pads, which I found a lot more comfortable, and no part of my ear touches the grills or pads. So, if your only complaint is your ears touching the driver grills, you might save yourself some money by buying new pads instead.

I hope that helps.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
What part of your ear specifically touches the driver grill? Your antihelix? (That is a problem I have encountered numerous times before.)

I bought my ATH-M50 used. The stock pads were already cracked and stiff, so the seller included a new pair of Shure SRH840 pads, which I found a lot more comfortable, and no part of my ear touches the grills or pads. So, if your only complaint is your ears touching the driver grills, you might save yourself some money by buying new pads instead.

I hope that helps.

Did the shure pads change the sound at all? And what material are they?

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 21
DT 770

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Did the shure pads change the sound at all? And what material are they?

1.  Not that I noticed, but I didn't spend much time comparing the two, nor do I have golden ears.
2.  Uhhh…I don't know. Pleather? Like I said, my M50 stock pads were old and worn when I got them, but I don't think they are very dissimilar material wise.

If you'd like, I can do a closer size and material comparison when I get home from work (in ~6 hours). I can even include pictures, if it helps.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 21
you know the new on ear sennheiser momentums are coming out soon. If you are not in rush you can wait to see how the reception for those phones are. From what i hear it should be cheaper than the current momentums or very similar in price

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 21
hello there I think you should get some hd439's they have great bass when modded that isn't muddy and can improve other frequencies, are easy to drive  and are comfy as well as the fact that they are a great value despite what others say.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 21
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80. Most comfortable headphone on the planet, and fits all your other criteria as well. Bassy, yet close to neutral, easy to drive, and well within your budget.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 21
Between the momentum and 1r, I'd choose the MDR 1r for slower types of music, and momentum for faster types, though I'd say you shouldn't get either, since they're definitely not the best at the price, especially the momentum.

Pick either the PSB m4u1 or KEF m500. Both are very comfortable. KEF is more airy and fast and accurate, and has better vocals, but the PSB has a wider soundstage, more isolation, and more foundation and body to the sound.

Momentum sounds alright, but the soundstage and presentation are horrible, everything sounds mushed. The momentum however does well with the details.

Nothing really sticks out with the 1r though. They are mid centric, and play only ok at higher listening levels. In order, I'd say pick either:
PSB M4u1
KEF M500
ATH WS99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back