Looking for closed portable headphones
Apr 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
I have decided that IEMs are not my thing. They refuse to stay in my ears, and my earwax production is quite high so filters get clogged in few days. (at best, in few hours at worse!) Its quite sad because I like both d-JAYS and ER6i, but I just cant use them...

So, I have to stick with closed portables. So far, only two I have are K26P and K81DJ. K26P sucks major ass, overblown boomy bass, mediocre mids and almost nonexistent highs. Size/portability and comfort are nice though, if I could find something similar in design, but with much better sound, it would be a hit.

K81DJ is bit better, but comfort is incredibly bad, and headband is too short (who they are designed for, babies?). Sound is much better than K26P, but I still dont like this kind of sound that is balanced towards bass and lower midrange. I am a gradohead afterall.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 11
maybe you just need to break in the k81's more
fit gets better through time

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 11
I've had K81DJ for year or two now, I think they are broken in well enough...
smily_headphones1.gif
And I know very well what they sound like, I have done the foam removal also and tried to mod them otherwise (bluetack dampening etc...) but still I dont like their sound. And their comfort still sucks, mainly because of the short headband.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 11
I would give the DT250-80 a try for sure. I personally think they're one of the best semi-portable headphones out there. There is a shop in Jyväskylä where they can be auditioned, and they're even very cool about home trials. If there is no place like this in Pori, and you're interested in trying these headphones, just send me a PM and I'll give you the contact information of someone in the shop. By the way, their prices are as good as anything you'll find online, which is another plus.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 11
I doubt I'd be willing to travel to Jyväskylä just to audition a pair of headphones, but thanks anyway!

How big that DT250 is? Any pictures of it on head?

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt I'd be willing to travel to Jyväskylä just to audition a pair of headphones, but thanks anyway!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I was trying to extend some sort of a helping hand in having someone at the shop send you the headphones so you could audition them.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Oh! Now I see. Thanks! But I have to say no at this time. Im not going to buy such headphone just yet, but I am going to at some point, late summer most likely. I am just collecting information what headphone I should be looking forward to.

So if I would get a headphone for loan, keep it a week and then return it saying I'll buy them later, that would be quite rude.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gone down this route...and Sennheiser HD25 1 II was the only thing that satisfied.

I completely forgot that Sennheiser had this headphone. They atleast look exactly what I am looking for. I wonder what they sound like. Any impressions and comparisons to headphones I am familiar with?

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 11
I would read the famous review of closed headphones by saint.panda for information about the Sennheisers (and the DT250-80 for that matter).

If you know anyone who's a DJ, chances are they will have those Sennheisers. They're pretty much the "only" DJ headphone I've seen used in Finland.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Could take a look at the ATH-ESW9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back