Looking for closed, portable, easy to drive, built like a tank set of cans
Mar 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
Just want good headphones for when in the car with my friends. I used to use sennheiser cx250 iems but they broke because I have a hard time being gentle with gear on the go. I'd love to find a good set of cans that aren't too expensive I.e. under $300 and will hold up against any punishment I throw at them. I considered hd25s and t50ps but I'm worried that they may be too fragile. Id hate to spend over $100 on a pair that are doomed to break (physically). Thanks for any suggestions.

P.s. the smaller the better. I want to be able to stuff them anywhere. No grados please since I'd rather not open and they kill my ears because of my glasses >.<

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
Just want good headphones for when in the car with my friends. I used to use sennheiser cx250 iems but they broke because I have a hard time being gentle with gear on the go. I'd love to find a good set of cans that aren't too expensive I.e. under $300 and will hold up against any punishment I throw at them. I considered hd25s and t50ps but I'm worried that they may be too fragile. Id hate to spend over $100 on a pair that are doomed to break (physically). Thanks for any suggestions.
P.s. the smaller the better. I want to be able to stuff them anywhere. No grados please since I'd rather not open and they kill my ears because of my glasses >.<

Look into:

Beyer DT770
M-Audio Q40
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K550
Brainwavz Hm5

Well under budget. And where applicable, add a Fiio E11.

Very best,

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I considered hd25s and t50ps but I'm worried that they may be too fragile. Id hate to spend over $100 on a pair that are doomed to break (physically). Thanks for any suggestions.

The Sennheiser HD 25 should be everything but fragile o.O. It is made to be tossed around and transported all the time. Plus, almost every part of it is replaceable.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 12
The M-Audio Q40 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50 come recommended for durability. Also, the HD-25 I II and TMA-1 are quite stretchy and durable in most aspects if you want an on-ear.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
The M-Audio Q40 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50 come recommended for durability. Also, the HD-25 I II and TMA-1 are quite stretchy and durable in most aspects if you want an on-ear.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the TMA-1.

There is also the V-Moda M-80, which is known to be almost invincible. Its headband can just bend and bend. And as a plus, it is engineered not to need extra amplification.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 12
I do have dt770s and they're definitely a tank but a bit too bulky. I guess I'll look into the hd25 then, I never had experience with them so idk if they were durable or not but they didn't look to hefty so I wasn't sure, they were just the first thing to come to mind for me.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 12
HD-25 I II or the Aiaiai Tma-1's (if you want a darker sound) 
both are indestructible!! 

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 12
I would say choose one of the following: V-moda m-80, sennheiser hd-25 ii, and aiaiai tma-1's. They're all very well built, the only question is what type of sound are you looking for?

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Honestly I'm not too picky about sound signature on the go, though I listen to more peppy music (i.e. electronic / classic rock) and leave my classical etc. for home.  I guess I'll go with the hd25 then.  It was one of my first choices honestly like I said, just wasn't sure how durable they were.  Thanks all, you never disappoint haha.  I would use my k540s on the go, they're small enough though still circumaural, but so damn delicate.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 12
I can back up the recommendations on the Audio Technica M50 and the V-Moda M80 in regards to durability. I currently own both of those and they're both super durable. They are also, however, very different headphones.

The M80s are consumer oriented phones. You'll like them because they're freakishly durable, have surprisingly deep bass for on-ears, and come with shorter (mobile) cables more oriented for your usage. Their cables are also removable/replaceable, which I am a major fan of. I don't really enjoy their sound personally because I feel they're a little harsh in the upper frequencies. Comfort wise the reviews are 50/50; my personal experience was that they put too much pressure on my ears (pressing them flat) and I couldn't wear them for more than 45-60 minutes, if that.

The ATs are branded as studio phones but are oftentimes used by Head-Fi users as a portable due to their (relatively, for studio monitors) short, coiled cord and fairly even frequency response. You'll see these reviewed as everything from bright to bassy and everything in between. My experience was that they have a relatively even response with a little extra kick to the bass that doesn't bleed terribly into the mids, but they're relatively flat sounding because of their intended use (you want flat if you're mixing, obviously).

I'd also like to half-heartedly throw into the mix the Sony MDR-7506/V6. Those are also a pair that I own, and they are relatively neutral much like the ATs, but instead of the extra emphasis on bass of the ATs, the Sonys have slightly boosted treble. Some people find it fatiguing, but I don't, and I find them to be more enjoyable to listen to with most genres than the M50. The coiled cord is a long one on the 7506, though I don't know about the consumer-marketed V6 (the 7506 is the "pro" studio model).

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 12
HD 25 1 II is my recommendation, and I'm familiar with most if not all of those mentioned.
The Senn's are very durable phones with excellent sound.

And, of course, no headphone is built "like a tank" :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back