Looking for closed over-ear headphones (currently eyeing the Nad Viso HP50 and Sennheiser Momentum).
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aeonfrog

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my pair of ATH-M50s, but I'm have difficulty deciding what suits my needs. I primarily listen to hip-hop and R&B, but I'll also be using my headphones for watching Netflix. I wouldn't object to something that has a decent soundstage since I may be interested in using the headphones for a bit of gaming. My price range is $300-$400, though I'm willing to go a bit higher for something particularly amazing. Lastly, I'll be using the headphones with the Dragonfly v1.2 USB DAC (the headphone jack on my laptop is broken).

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 10
If depends how much you like bass. Momentum is dark overall; it's rich and fairly refined, but it isn't thumping the way something like M100 is. I haven't heard HP50 yet but the chart indicates a lot of bass. The other thing is that the Momentum earcups are very small.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 10
  If depends how much you like bass. Momentum is dark overall; it's rich and fairly refined, but it isn't thumping the way something like M100 is. I haven't heard HP50 yet but the chart indicates a lot of bass. The other thing is that the Momentum earcups are very small.

Yea, the M100's are a good option as well. Especially with the XL earpads.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 10
Well between the two Headphones, I believe that the Sennheiser Momentum is much better especially for the price. They are very comfortable and light, with a great sound-stage. All great for gaming. If you would like another option, the Beyerdynamic DT 770's are great. They are not as light as the Momentums, but they are in my opinion superior in audio quality, and possibly build quality. Beyerdynamic always makes great headphones. Hope this was helpful :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Bump.
For portability and noise isolation which one is preferred? I've read various opinions on this and want more! Lastly, which one is more comfortable? I tried on a pair of momentums once and thought my ears were getting warm but I think I may have been embarrassed by the store associate standing right next to me... Also, how do these stand up against the mad dogs 3.2 w/ alpha pads?

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I have a fairly detailed comparison between the HP50 and the Momentums posted on the Portable subforum - worth reading, perhaps.   In short, I prefer the HP50 and by a fairly significant margin.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 10
For the momentums be careful about your ear size. if they are very large they will sit on them. 

Also +1 for momentums for portable use as well but they do well for at home use.

They do well un-amped as well and if you have an Iphone, you can use the in line microphone which comes standard

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 10
Bump.
For portability and noise isolation which one is preferred? I've read various opinions on this and want more! Lastly, which one is more comfortable? I tried on a pair of momentums once and thought my ears were getting warm but I think I may have been embarrassed by the store associate standing right next to me... Also, how do these stand up against the mad dogs 3.2 w/ alpha pads?

Noise isolation is a bit low from my perspective as a 'Closed Back' - commute when on the train and bus - you can hear alot of the noise compared to my Shure SE425s and previously used the senn hd280s

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 10
The M -100's are a better portable solution than the Momentums. You may need the XL pads though, I certainly did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back