Looking for closed headphones under $200
Jul 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheFragileOne

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi, I've posted a few times on hear looking for suggestions but haven't gotten much responses. This time I'm looking for a full-sized or on-ear closed pair of headphones. They must be closed as I'l be using them in my dorm. I'll be using them at my computer for long hours so comfort is a big factor here. The headphones will be played through my motherboards audio jack. I also have an iPhone 5S and a FiiO E6 that I could use.

I'm looking to spend under $200. I listen to mainly hip-hop/rap, post-hardcore, alternative, rock, electronic, and country. I'm also a basshead, specifically sub-bass. I also really love soundstage and instrument separation. I feel a warmer tone would be best for me since I prefer to listen to make vocals.

I've always wanted the Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms and am leaning towards that because of the comfort and bass but I'm having troubles finding them under $200 (if you know where I can get them, please say where!). I've also been looking at the ATH-M50X, V-Moda M80/XS, Logitech UE6000, and the Beats Solo2.

If I get the DT 770's, will I need an amp or will the E6 work? If so, what's a reasonably priced amp I could get that wont break the bank?

Thanks a bunch for reading!

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Since you already have the E6, you should try that and see what you think.

Since DT770 Pro 250 ohm are cheaper, you could get that and a FiiO E11.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 12
I was considering that but I heard the 250 ohm lacks the bass the the 80 ohm model has. Is this true?

I have no first hand experience in comparing the two, but I seriously doubt that one has a serious "lacking" in bass in comparison to each other.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Based on your preferences, you may also want to look into the DT990s. I have not heard them, but everything I've read about them describes them as having a 'fun' signature. They are open-back, so soundstage and instrument separation should be good, but I am not sure how well the bass will fare against the closed back DT770. The 250ohm pros are $150 right now at Amazon.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 12
try the audio technica ATH M50X.. it is under 200 and the bass is quite good.. should fit your needs pretty well :D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and consider getting velour pads for them. How's the sub-bass rumble and overall sound?

Based on your preferences, you may also want to look into the DT990s. I have not heard them, but everything I've read about them describes them as having a 'fun' signature. They are open-back, so soundstage and instrument separation should be good, but I am not sure how well the bass will fare against the closed back DT770. The 250ohm pros are $150 right now at Amazon.

I was looking into them but picked the DT 770's because I need them to be closed back since I'll be using them in my dorm.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 12
So I'm currently stuck between the DT 770 Pro 80's and the ATH-M50X with velour pads. The Pro 80's are $30 more if I buy the velour pads. I'm worried about the depth of the sub-bass in the headphones. It doesn't have to be crazy powerful but I want it to extend very deep and I'd like to feel some rumble. Anyone have any input on these for which would suit me better? If I get lucky and find either on sale, I'll pick it up.

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 12
  So I'm currently stuck between the DT 770 Pro 80's and the ATH-M50X with velour pads. The Pro 80's are $30 more if I buy the velour pads. I'm worried about the depth of the sub-bass in the headphones. It doesn't have to be crazy powerful but I want it to extend very deep and I'd like to feel some rumble. Anyone have any input on these for which would suit me better? If I get lucky and find either on sale, I'll pick it up.

IMO, with regards to bass, the DT 770 has the better quality while the M50 has the better quantity.. either way, both of them are winners in their price range :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back