Looking for closed headphones that are neutral, highly detailed and have a large soundstage
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TenMoonsNorth

100+ Head-Fier
Here is what I want and in order of priority:

• Closed  over ear headphones. These are for portable usage but I can use an Alpen so they don't necessarily need to be easy to drive. I also do not like wearing IEMs.
  • Detail. Preferably at HD 800 levels or as close to it as possible.
  • Neutrality. EQ can fix problems but it can only go so far.
  • Large soundstage.

My budget is currently unlimited but a mixture of high end and flagship options is welcome. This is more about finding out what my headphone options are, so that I can look into each pair in more detail.

Possible options I currently know of:

1. Shure SRH940 - It doesn't have the sound stage but it's detailed and neutral. Price is also good.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 5
AKG K550 - definitely neutral and huge soundstage for a closed can. Not sure if you would consider it portable though. I think there's a version (K551?) with a detachable cable so you can replace it with something shorter.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 5
The only three closed back/portable headphones (out of the ones I've heard) that I truly like are:

Sennheiser Momentum (closer to HD600 in overall flavour than HD800) - I own it.
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (a little more neutrality and detail retrieval than Momentum)
Ultrasone Edition 8 (detail is in the same ball-park as the HD800 and has a very similar level of intimacy and a VERY communicative, intimate sound)

None of them compare in soundstage to the HD800 though. Not even slightly. 
Also all of them have a stronger bass slam and apparent sub-bass response than HD800 because of the closed-back design. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back