Looking for Closed Headphones for Rock/Metal/Pop
Mar 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

machetemike

New Head-Fier
Looking for some recommendations on good cans. I'm not an audiophile by any means so if you need more information please be as descriptive as possible with what you would like to know and I will do my best to answer!

The genres of music I listen to vary greatly depending on my mood. Most of the time it is Rock and/or Metal but I'll also listen to classical, dubstep, and Pop (Coldplay, U2, etc).

I would prefer them to be closed as I do tend to listen to my music loudly sometimes and have roommates or would be listening to them outside in a public area and would not want the sound to leak. Isolation should be decent but as long as the noise isn't high enough to distract from the music then I don't really mind. Honestly for the most part I would be listening to them in my room but I'd like to avoid open if at all possible so I could listen to them in public without fear of someone asking me to turn it down. 

Style is a good thing but it is not a necessity. If the best cans in the world looked like a shoe, I'd gladly have a shoe on my head for a better listening experience. 

My price ceiling would be about $300.00 

I would be open to using an amp;  I *do* have an Astro MixAmp for my PC but would need one for portable use so if it is recommended, please recommend which one I should look into purchasing as I know nothing about amps either.

Thank you so much for providing me with information on this! Have a good day.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Two recommendations for: SRH840, DT770
One recommendation against: M50

All three are broadly speaking V-shaped, but the first two have better treble as needed for guitar-based music.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Two recommendations for: SRH840, DT770

+1

Get one of those two, and then grab yourself a pair of Grado SR80i for when you can listen to open headphones. A lot of people think Grados are awesome for rock and metal. If you buy from Amazon, you can always return them for cost of shipping.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 15
You should also take a look at the Beyer Custom One Pro's and V Moda M100's.  I own the Beyerdynamics and like them for all types of music due to the fact that you can change the sound signature of them pretty easily by moving a switch on each of the cups.  Search through the forums and you'll see tons of feedback on both of these phones.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 15
Get one of those two, and then grab yourself a pair of Grado SR80i for when you can listen to open headphones. A lot of people think Grados are awesome for rock and metal. If you buy from Amazon, you can always return them for cost of shipping.

Absolutely right. I like to say "Grados are for guitars." And 80i is a close second to 225i for metal and rock. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm making a list and will weigh them against each other based on the reviews done on them on this site. Keep them coming! I like looking extensively at all the options I can before making the plunge. I hate spending 200-300$+ on an item only to find out a month later that this other item was available and seems to be the better fit. :) 

As for the Grados, if I ever go for an open ear design I'll definitely check them out! Thanks!

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Yeah I was looking at the Momentums before I made this post. From what I read I *think* they'd fit what I'm looking for but I prefer not to buy on impulse and unfortunately I don't have any kind of audio store around me that would carry these brands so I have to ask around which is why im loving this forum! I'll add them to my list. I'm not sure about the M100's though, while I like bass seem to focus more on the bass and less on the highs which while nice for some of the music I listen to would be poor for the majority of things I listen to. Correct me if I'm mistaken :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 15
  Yeah I was looking at the Momentums before I made this post. From what I read I *think* they'd fit what I'm looking for but I prefer not to buy on impulse and unfortunately I don't have any kind of audio store around me that would carry these brands so I have to ask around which is why im loving this forum! I'll add them to my list. I'm not sure about the M100's though, while I like bass seem to focus more on the bass and less on the highs which while nice for some of the music I listen to would be poor for the majority of things I listen to. Correct me if I'm mistaken :)

You may be better off narrowing down your list to a few headphones and then just getting them from Amazon that way you can audition for yourself.  If it were me, I'd get the momentums, beyer COP's, and M100's and try them all out.

That being said, of the three, I only own the COP's and have never owned either of the other two.  I do have the V Moda M80's and I can say that I'm pleased with their sound and do not feel that they are too bassy...

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 15
the M100's are sex for rock/metal. Easily the best at that of the $200-300 phones I've heard (which is only a handful, but still). 

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 15
So far out of the ones mentioned here are some I'm thinking about:

V-Moda M100
SoundMAGIC HP100
Sennheiser Momentum

So thank you for bringing these to my attention. I'm leaning towards the HP100's at the moment. Going to try and get my hands on all three to demo.

Could anyone recommend a high-quality affordable amp that will fit well with all of these (since I don't know which one I'm picking yet!) and the genres I most listen too? (Metal/Rock/Pop/Dub in that order) 

Thanks again you guys are awesome!!

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 15
So far out of the ones mentioned here are some I'm thinking about:

V-Moda M100
SoundMAGIC HP100
Sennheiser Momentum

So thank you for bringing these to my attention. I'm leaning towards the HP100's at the moment. Going to try and get my hands on all three to demo.

Could anyone recommend a high-quality affordable amp that will fit well with all of these (since I don't know which one I'm picking yet!) and the genres I most listen too? (Metal/Rock/Pop/Dub in that order) 

What's your budget?

But what kind of portable device are you going to use these with? You may not even need an amp.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 15
What's your budget?

But what kind of portable device are you going to use these with? You may not even need an amp.

Well for an Amp I was figuring around 50-100$.

I have an Astro MixAmp for my PC and it *is* where I will be doing most of my listening from so I may not even get one but would like to cover all my bases without having to make a new thread should I decide to get one later. Again, forgive my ignorance but an amp will improve the listening experience regardless if its needed to drive the cans or not yes? I would be using it with my cell phone (at the moment Galaxy S4) and an iPod Classic (2009) 

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 15
iPods generally do well with driving low impedance headphones like the ones you have chosen. Where you might want a headphone amp would be if you are listening at loud volumes near the iPods headphone amp limits because you will be losing dynamics. So you could use the iPod for testing the headphones.

I don't know about whether or not the S4s headphone amp is good for driving 18 ohm headphones like the Momentums or how the Astro is. So I would recommend waiting until you get your headphones and see if you then need a portable amp. I personally hate the idea of having to carry an amp and would choose headphones that are easiest to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back