Looking for closed headphones, $200 budget
Apr 30, 2010 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
G'day. This post is not in fact for me but for a friend. She is looking to spend $200 on a pair of closed headphones for use whilst watching movies (she lives in a uni dorm) and when on the train and bus. As I have no real interest in closed headphones I can't really help her, so have decided to post here for some recommendations.

She does not currently have an external dac/amp, but intends to at a later date get the ibasso d2 boa (or similiar). She seems to like neatural and analytical headphones and listens to piano music, celtic and some movie scores. Any help would be most appreciated.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Whops, forgot to add she is not interested in in ears, (otherwise I could of helped her). Thankyou for your responce.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 18
Shure SRH440 is going for $135 at Headphonic

Otherwise, there are the AT A900 or M50 which are above the $200 price range, but I'm sure they can be had for cheaper over the net or used.

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 18
Does she mind the size? I have heard the SRH840 is a big step up from the 440, and can be had for ~$135 new. Also, I use the AKG K271mkII for my closed can, and they are very neutral/analytical, but need to be amped somewhat. I wouldn't want the K271 as my only can, because they are not quite as 'fun' as the HD600 for instance, but I really enjoy them!

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 18
I'd vote Shure SRH840, wonderful at shutting off ambient noise and otherwise nicely sounding closed headphone that seems to match the what you describe about analytical and neutral as they are more like "monitors" used for studio use and music sounds like it was supposed to. They might not be the very best looking tho.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 18
Agreed that the 840 is a step up from the 440 but the difference would probably be what ever $135 USD (+ Shipping) - $135 AUD would equal.

Shipping headphones to Australia is pretty steep... or non-existent (Amazon)

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Also if you want to ship to Australia and it's not available from the US you can use priceusa.com.au to ship to you ^^. I've seen the M50 being recommended a lot around here lately, maybe worth looking into.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 18
I tried a bunch of closed headphones and also liked the SRH840. They're analytical, isolate well, sound ok without an amp but scale quite nicely. Tho they are quite big and might look a little odd on a bus. Personally I use iems in public (SRH530).

Haven't heard the M50, which people also seem to like a lot.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 18
ath-es7 mate. ~$100. i recommend these for several reasons:

1. the style. girls tend to be more fashion conscious than guys and these are very smart and hip looking. trust me, they are the best-looking ones mentioned so far, and if your friend is anything like most of the girls i know, this can be a big deal.

2. the portability. you mentioned bus and train above, and these are smaller than most alternatives.

3. the lack of sound leakage. ath-es7's are good at keeping the noise inside, so as not to bother her roommates or fellow public transportation users.

now, the sound quality isn't quite as good as say the ath-m50 or the shure's, but it's decent, and may be worth the compromise to look as nice as they do with the portability. guys tend to be 'geekier' than gals, but if she is as geeky as we (guys) are, then by all means i second the ath-m50, or ath-a700. also, many people have mentioned some comfort issues with the ath-es7 as they are supra-aural and not circum-aural.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 18
you can try the Denon AH-D2000. A little bit more for your budget around $220 on Amazon. And they are closed cans too
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 18
D2000 isn't portable so that's out of the question. The isolation isn't too great as well.
ES7 has poor isolation so that's out the question if you're on a train or bus
SRH840 is heavy and big so a girl wearing that in public will be an issue.

SRH440 is probably the best option.

If only the HD25II were more neutral then it would be perfect for your friend.

I haven't listened to the M50 yet but i'm planning to head down to the DJ shop to try them out.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 18
+1 on the ATH-M50.

I'm about to get rid of my SRH840. I really like the sound... very clear, clean, 'neutral', open, and yes, they do isolate well, though not exactly heavy in the bass department.

But I can not wear them. The pressure on the top of my balding head is just too much.
redface.gif

If this isn't a problem for your friend then the only drawback would be the insane size (which to some is a plus!). Otherwise... great sounding cans!

The M50 has great punchy sound, is smaller and lighter, isolates as well and is about 2/3 the price. Highly recommended.
L3000.gif

shane

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 on the ATH-M50.

I'm about to get rid of my SRH840. I really like the sound... very clear, clean, 'neutral', open, and yes, they do isolate well, though not exactly heavy in the bass department.

But I can not wear them. The pressure on the top of my balding head is just too much.
redface.gif

If this isn't a problem for your friend then the only drawback would be the insane size (which to some is a plus!). Otherwise... great sounding cans!

shane

I'm going to check out the M50's someday due to a million people on here suggesting them. They may have too much bass for me though. I also have issues with the SRH-840's comfort. They're just too heavy and loose on my head. This is why I wanted to get the HD-600's. Luckily my problem with them doesn't seem to be as bad as yours, so I can deal with it. Barely. Exercising with the SRH-840 would be close to impossible. I love the sound out of the SRH-840, but the comfort is terrible. Maybe someday the Shure DJ headphones are worth a try if the comfort is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back