Looking for closed cans with bigger soundstage than the ATH-A900X
Aug 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JCRG

100+ Head-Fier
I kinda wanna upgrade a bit (I.E., <500usd) from said headphones, so I'd like to know what else is out there, mainly for gaming and musical composition.

I don't like open cans because they suck at isolation.

Neutral signature is a plus too.

I've done some reading, and the shure 940s and the akg 550 seem good on paper, though the latter seems far from being neutral.

What does HiFi suggests?

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 5
What sources exactly will you be plugging the headphones into?

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I suggest the Fostex TH-600 Premium Dynamic Stereo Headphones with 50mm Drivers, only porous diaphragm can reproduce the aliveness/airyness of any sound.
For example with the commonly used plastic (non-porous) diaphragm, any human voice will sound tonally hazy, plasticky, sluggish and plastic lisp, not vibrant lifelike.

The porous diaphragm can breath air through it and will sound more paperlike, fast vibrant lifelike lisp tonally.

You can test/compare the tonally plastic/paper lisp with a thin (porous) papersheet and a thin (non-porous) plastic foil.
Tap/shake on the paper/plastic and hear the tonal/resonance differences.
Paper sound fast, wind sizzling, high airy vibration and plastic sound sluggish, muffled, plastic crisp, no airly high vibrance.

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Premium-Dynamic-Headphones-Drivers/dp/B00BEUCNNC#customerReviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back