Looking for closed back replacement for SRH840 (sub $400USD)
Jun 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ShawnMichaelsNeedsHeadfi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My SRH 840 broke (cable) after years of good service and I'm looking for a replacement.

I was thinking of getting the Shure SRH-940 as the natural progression of things, but I am unsure seeing as there are many comments about about the plastic cracking.

Now I am considering the SRH-1540 because they individual connections to each headphone, which will probably be a good thing for longevity - but apparently these are super boring. Other options that I am coming across are the Audio Technica M70x which seems like a good option. I also looked at the Sennheiser HD 630VB, but the fixed cable is offputting.

I am not sure if I should consider wireless, I don't want any sort of lag so I assume that'd be a hard no on something like the Sennheiser HD 630VB or Beyerdynamic Amiron?

I listen to hard rock and metal mostly, I will be driving them off motherboard audio (ALC1220-VB) or a MacBook Pro - so I need something easy to drive.

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Seems like the cheaper long term option would be to avoid the Shure 1540 because of the style of connection it uses. Maybe instead look at a Creative Aurvana Live? It's easy to drive and is fairly light and portable.

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 5
What kind of music do you listen to? 840s are decent cans for rock and metal. The Meze 99 Classics or Noir seem the natural progression for those genres. Build quality is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back