Looking for closed back headphones; Budget >=500$
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

New Head-Fier
Hi all, new guy here.
My former, somewhat bad, headphones died on me I am looking for a new pair, this time of high quality.
I've read about sound signatures, but I am not too sure about all of the "hi-fi" stuff that goes into picking the best headphones for me.
I mainly listen to genres such as electronic, hip hop, acoustic or piano.

The main requirement I've had when searching for new headphones have been that they must be over-ear closed back, otherwise I may disturb others in my home, and that the budget must not exceed 500$.
II will mainly be using these for at home listening, so I'm not all against the idea of buying an amp if necessary, however it would be a big bonus if it was not required.

Currently I've found these headphones.
- Yamaha HPH-MT220
- Audio-Technica ATH-M70x
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 (Unsure of what version and impedance is best)
- B̶e̶y̶e̶r̶d̶y̶n̶a̶m̶i̶c̶ ̶D̶T̶ ̶8̶8̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶n̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶e̶d̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶)̶ Edit; is open back
- Beyerdynamic T70p 32 ohm

Which of these best suits my needs or is there a better one?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 8
There is not a lot to choose from at that price point for closed backs. I’m not a fan of the M50’s as I think the bass is a bit bloated and the 770’s the high are a bit much for me and the mids just a bit recessed. The 880’s are actually open backs have not heard the Yamaha’s or M70’s so don’t know about those. The Meze 99 Classics would do well for you as it has good bass and can be run straight out of a phone with ease. I know there are a few Sony’s that people here like but they haven’t showed up at any of the meets I’ve been to so can’t say anything about them. I had a few others that I was thinking about but just went blank sorry.

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 8
There is not a lot to choose from at that price point for closed backs. I’m not a fan of the M50’s as I think the bass is a bit bloated and the 770’s the high are a bit much for me and the mids just a bit recessed. The 880’s are actually open backs have not heard the Yamaha’s or M70’s so don’t know about those. The Meze 99 Classics would do well for you as it has good bass and can be run straight out of a phone with ease. I know there are a few Sony’s that people here like but they haven’t showed up at any of the meets I’ve been to so can’t say anything about them. I had a few others that I was thinking about but just went blank sorry.
Thank you for your response!
Wasn't aware that the 880s were open back, glad you informed me.
I'll look into the 99s, they look good based on brief googling.

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 8
I give 1 point back to the m50x. Their magnificent bass is under control. And the caressing highs. The impresion of m50x is not attained by listening, it's like being told a fairytale. So far the best headphone I've owned.

880 is semi-open. Anyway, it is for more of a neutral/critical/monitor experience. 770 is said to be more fun.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 8
I give 1 point back to the m50x. Their magnificent bass is under control. And the caressing highs. The impresion of m50x is not attained by listening, it's like being told a fairytale. So far the best headphone I've owned.

880 is semi-open. Anyway, it is for more of a neutral/critical/monitor experience. 770 is said to be more fun.
Well that’s the way you feel and I will not disagree with how you feel. I will disagree a bit the M50X has a bit of bloated bass and the highs aren’t too bad at all and the 770’s are bright as hell.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I would also recommend the 99 Classics. They should satisfy most, and then some. I also agree about the M50X. I found it, not satisfying. I wouldn't call it terrible as I've heard worse, but you have a nice budget and there's a lot of good closed over ear options. The 99 Classics will do all your listed genres very swell. There hard not to like, and as already mentioned, easy to drive. Would leave you some cheddar for an amp as well should you want one to feed them a little more nectar.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 8
The self-adjusting headband though :confounded:... Of course just my opinion again.

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back