Looking for closed-back equivalent to the DT990
Aug 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wordfool

100+ Head-Fier
There were a couple threads years ago on this subject but none recently, so I thought I'd ask what folks would recommend from some of the recent crop of new 'phones as a closed-back option with similar sound profile and comfort to the Beyerdynamic DT990 in the $150-$250 price range. 

The DT990 is not perfect of course -- the highs are tolerable for me but can get a bit grating and the mids can sometimes be a little too recessed, but overall I enjoy listening to them and generally like V-shaped response for the rock and electronic music I tend to listen to most (usually via a Meridian Explorer DAC). Bass is plentiful and tight enough for me, the highs usually sparkle nicely, the mids are present enough, and the whole sound has a nice airiness (obviously YMMV!). 

But now I need a closed headphone, so what would give me a similar sound (accepting, of course, the unavoidable limitations of closed 'phones) and a similar level of comfort (no synthetic leather... only velour or real leather for my sweaty ears)? I would be happy with a slightly darker sound, but still would want some impactful bass (though I would not consider myself a basshead) and slightly recessed mids. 

My first thought was a DT770 (250 ohm) for more of that velour padded goodness, but the more I read about the sound profiles of the various 770 models the more I wonder if they're at all similar to the 990. Other options I'm considering include the Sennheiser M2 and Beoplay H6 v2. Anything else I should be looking at? The B&W P7 sound intriguing, but are a little spendy unless I can find them on sale.

Edit: Also now considering the Sony MDR-1A 

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 4
I would just go with the DT770... You simply retain the Beyer sound, yeah it doesn't sound totally like the 990 or 880. But if you like the 990 you'll probably love the 770 as well. I owned all three of them and definitely feel they are similar in many ways.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Ultrasone pro900 ferfectly fit you!

Considered them, but no longer available so would probably have to buy used. 

I would just go with the DT770... You simply retain the Beyer sound, yeah it doesn't sound totally like the 990 or 880. But if you like the 990 you'll probably love the 770 as well. I owned all three of them and definitely feel they are similar in many ways.

Which version of the 770 did you have/prefer? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back