Looking for classical soloist, trios and quartets.
Sep 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Vikingatheart

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not well versed in Classical music. I like certain things a lot, and don't understand the rest. What I am looking for is something similar to Edgar Meyer's Bach: Unaccompanied Cello Suites. I love solo classical (cello, piano, violin, viola, double bass) and trios or quartets. I don't want a whole orchestra, I just want some solo stuff. Any suggestions?

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 12
Yo Mama?

Or, Yo-yo ma. Whatever, I voiced.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Yo Mama?

Or, Yo-yo ma. Whatever, I voiced.

I never even thought of the obvious. A certain piece of work I should look for from him? I know classical music isn't typically grouped by "albums", but thats all I know to call it. So is there a certain album I should get?

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 12
If you liked the Bach cello suites, the obvious next stop is the Bach sonatas and partitas for violin solo.  There are any number of fine recordings - I like Grumiaux.  For more 'modern' (turn of the last century) solo violin, there are Ysaÿe's six sonatas.  For 20th century solo cello music, Matt Haimovitz did a beautifully powerful 3CD set called, imaginatively, The Twentieth-Century Cello.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

For quartets, I'd start with mid-period Beethoven (Op. 74) and work through to the later ones, which are mind-blowing.   The Alban Berg Quartet set is good.  Then skip forward to the American quartet by Dvorak, and maybe the Bartok quartets (spiky) and Shostakovich (melancholy, violent, ironic - all human life is here).

Trios... for some reason these tend to be slighter works than solo or quartet works.  Personally I'd leave them for a while, but you could get the Beaux Arts trio performance of the Archduke and Ghost trios (Beethoven) and see what they do for you.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
If you liked the Bach cello suites, the obvious next stop is the Bach sonatas and partitas for violin solo.  There are any number of fine recordings - I like Grumiaux.  For more 'modern' (turn of the last century) solo violin, there are Ysaÿe's six sonatas.  For 20th century solo cello music, Matt Haimovitz did a beautifully powerful 3CD set called, imaginatively, The Twentieth-Century Cello.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

For quartets, I'd start with mid-period Beethoven (Op. 74) and work through to the later ones, which are mind-blowing.   The Alban Berg Quartet set is good.  Then skip forward to the American quartet by Dvorak, and maybe the Bartok quartets (spiky) and Shostakovich (melancholy, violent, ironic - all human life is here).

Trios... for some reason these tend to be slighter works than solo or quartet works.  Personally I'd leave them for a while, but you could get the Beaux Arts trio performance of the Archduke and Ghost trios (Beethoven) and see what they do for you.

What a fantastic run down. Thank you very much! I will start listening as soon as I can. 

EDIT: So I listened to all of it I could find (amazon) and I really love the Grumiaux and the Ysaÿe's. I also found a the Dvoraks Three Piano Trio, and they are pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions. I need to purchase these CDs as soon as I can. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 12
I don't know too much about specific composers or pieces, but I really enjoyed this performance, so perhaps you could look into what else this quartet has performed. :)

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I don't know too much about specific composers or pieces, but I really enjoyed this performance, so perhaps you could look into what else this quartet has performed. :)

Awesome post. I really enjoyed that!

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Try the 
Beethoven St Qt No 7 Op 59/1
Borodin St Qt No 2
Tchaikovsky St Qt No 1
Any of the late Schubert Qts
Schubert Cello Quintet
Schubert Trout Quintet

Plenty of good versions of all of the above.
The Lindsay's for the Schubert and the Beethoven.
Borodin Qt on EMI for the Borodin. these are fairly sound recommendations.

Enjoy, you have a treat in store. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back