Looking For Classical Centered IEM Under $100
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

captainamerica

New Head-Fier
I”m really new here and I have recently been searching around for a good pair of IEM’s. I’m currently looking for recommendations on a pair of IEM’s that have a detachable cable and are under $100. I’ve owned two pairs of Klipsch x4i’s, a pair of X10’s, and Bose QC15’s. I found that the Klipsch broke down within few months mostly due to the cable which is why I want a detachable one. Of the earbuds I’ve owned I enjoyed the X10’s the best, but I found them to feel a bit hollow as they didn't handle bass well. I also would like something that has a microphone as well as good sound isolation as I plan on theses being for everyday use.

I mostly listen to classical music, but also like bass heavy music and rap so I’m looking for a good all around IEM that does well with bass, but isn't over powering, and will still stay crisp on the upper end when listening to violin solos without having the mids fall off entirely.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Shure SE215
Dunu Titan 1
SoundMAGIC E80
HiFiMAN RE 400

For my dream IEM for you, I submit the Fidue A73 for your consideration. It is outside of budget, but, maybe you can stretch (?). Seriously, you should read up on those on this list you've yet to review. They are all good selections and all slightly different from one another. Check them out, see what you like, what you don't like about each. Then you can begin to organize a list around your observations. Good Luck.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Thank you Sermon005. Since posting, I have been looking at the Westone W10 and UM10 monitors. I was originally looking at the SE215, but have, for the most part, decided against because most of the reviews say that they drop off in the upper range. The x10's were my favorite IEM's so far and they have a balanced driver in them, but I like the idea of a detachable cable so I feel less inclined to go with the Fidue A73. What are the differences in sound between these monitors? Any thought will help.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 8
  Thank you Sermon005. Since posting, I have been looking at the Westone W10 and UM10 monitors. I was originally looking at the SE215, but have, for the most part, decided against because most of the reviews say that they drop off in the upper range. The x10's were my favorite IEM's so far and they have a balanced driver in them, but I like the idea of a detachable cable so I feel less inclined to go with the Fidue A73. What are the differences in sound between these monitors? Any thought will help.

To my memory, the UM10 is tilted pretty markedly toward the upper registers. It can get sibilant. Bass is lean. Good soundstage, though. The W10, on the other hand, has relatively balanced bass, to my ears. Still, though, the overall signature is one of high-mid and high register emphasis.  So, I guess what I am saying is, if you are a fan of big bass, neither one of these is going to do it for you. If you want highs emphasized, go for the UM10. If you want more balance still with some emphasis in the upper mids and highs, then go for the W10. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back