Looking for cheap USB DAC
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DTgill

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Schiit Jotunheim with the multibit DAC, I got it yesterday and I like the amp, but the DAC leaves something to be desired, and it just sounds 2 dimensional.

My Grados sound better on a AUNE M1MK2 as a DAC, but I want to use that one for a different pair of Grados I have coming next week.

My budget is going to be 300 USD.

Any ideas for an external DAC?

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 10
Give it at least two weeks time, keep it powered on. Multibit chips need initially burn-in.

Try to find a dealer that still keep a stock for Audio GD R2R-11, or a second hand. Double check for a good pairing with Grado, I have no experience, using HD-600. The amp in R2R-11 is very fast, Grados are on a bright side.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 10
I just got the iFi ZEN DAC Signature, it's $299.

However, it doesn't use standard XLR cables for balanced out. I got both the official iFi XLR cable for $99 as well as a Youkamoo one for $21.80. Both work.

I have not had enough time with the DAC or the cables to give a final verdict. However, on first listen, the highs and mids sound lovely with my Jotunheim (the original one, not the current Jotunheim 2), better than with the AK4490 DAC module (I don't have the multibit module).

Do you have the Jotunheim 2 or did you order a B stock Jotunheim 1, perhaps?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Aug 5, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Give it at least two weeks time, keep it powered on. Multibit chips need initially burn-in.

Try to find a dealer that still keep a stock for Audio GD R2R-11, or a second hand. Double check for a good pairing with Grado, I have no experience, using HD-600. The amp in R2R-11 is very fast, Grados are on a bright side.
Ya I purchased it from eBay and the person had it since November 2020.

My Grados' seem to love this little headphone\DAC amp I have the Aune t1 mk2 with an 6SN7 tube installed, I could use it as just a DAC and it sounds good paired with the Jotunheim much better than the on board multibit.

Problem is I have that setup reserved for another set of cans.

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Okay, then apart from different headphones (I did not like the Grados that I tried) it should be comparable. Are you using the balanced output?
Yep using balanced, the Grados sound very nice when pair to the Aune as a dac

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I found a cheap DAC, Bifrost I'll have an extra 4490 card that I'll toss into it.

If that doesn't work I'll keep the Grados' coupled to Aune

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 10
A Nobsound 8xTDA1387 $42 DAC should work well with Aune. It will beat many DS DACs in $200 range, including Schiit multibit module that costs alone $200. Look at this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nos-dac-better-than-nobsound-tda1387.938079/

If I remember correctly Jotunheim 1 comes with a poor performing USB board, it is one of the weakness. It needs an upgrade or a poor-man DDC, that is also discussed in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back