Looking for cheap studio monitor headphones
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mashuto

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, I mostly dabble in IEMs, so I am just not very familiar with over ear headphones.

Looking for a pretty cheap around $100 pair of relatively flat/neutral headphones that can be used for some really basic mixing/production tasks. Would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 8
AKG K612 Pro is the king of this price bracket.
Also one of the most neutral headphones at ANY price.
Music almost sounds boring with it... if something is wrong in the mix, it will stick out immediately.

(Measured with miniDSP EARS)
AKG K612 Pro.jpg

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Sep 23, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 8
I would look at DT770/880/990, depending if you need closed/semi/open. Good build quality and they can take a beating, price wise more interesting in EU then US though...
Out of all of these, only the DT880 600 ohm version is close to neutral.
Great for music making and enjoyment, but a bit out of the price range.

DT770 are generally quite v-shaped and DT990's (pro) tend to be treble-murder.

If you need an amp with your over-ears, then you can get AKG K240 and Douk U3 here:
Hmm K240 isn't very neutral though. It's got quite a sub-bass roll-off and low-mid emphasis.

But it depends on the task ... for simple stuff it'll do fine, as long as there's not going to be any EQ work being done.
And if that's the case, then a Superlux HD681 would also be fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Seems the k612 might be the best choice, but availability seems like its maybe a little limited due to being an older model and may be slightly pricier than I was initially hoping.

Definitely looking for something pretty flat here, these are not going to be for listening to music or watching movies/shows. Also probably wont be doing any eq or anything to flatten them up. Doesnt need to be perfectly flat or neutral, just something in the ballpark. Open back/closed doesnt really matter. This is just an entry level pair to get started with some basic mixing and other audio production tasks.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey all, I mostly dabble in IEMs, so I am just not very familiar with over ear headphones.

Looking for a pretty cheap around $100 pair of relatively flat/neutral headphones that can be used for some really basic mixing/production tasks. Would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Anything by Audio-Technica from the M50 series (M40, M20...)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back