Looking for cheap entry level turntable (AT-PL50?)
Nov 19, 2008 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrOldboy

Head-Fier
So I am looking for a cheap turntable for my girlfriend for christmas. Pretty much to go with a few old records that I bought for her (45 records).

I found a local seller on craigslist that is selling 2 Crosley CR49 traveler turntables for $70, or one for $40.

I haven't seen the condition yet so I'd have to do that obviously. But if they are in working condition would this be a good option. If I got them both I'd end up with one for myself as well.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOldboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am looking for a cheap turntable for my girlfriend for christmas.

I never use 'cheap' and 'girlfriend' in the same sentence. It gives the wrong impression.
Why don't you get her something that is nice to look at, and has auto start, auto stop, and direct drive? The auto stop feature is very important. Take it from an old crony...

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 8
FYI: Crosley is a very cheap brand. The ones I've seen have been junk. Look for Dual.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Any help???

I've been looking some more and the audio technica AT-PL50 has interested me. But to be honest I'm looking for something small that has built-in speakers and an audio output. Small because she lives in a pretty small apartment. My budget is about $100 for the turntable. But the at-pl50 looks small and is fully automatic. It looks like a good choice.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Any help???

I've been looking some more and the audio technica AT-PL50 has interested me. But to be honest I'm looking for something small that has built-in speakers and an audio output. Small because she lives in a pretty small apartment. My budget is about $100 for the turntable. But the at-pl50 looks small and is fully automatic. It looks like a good choice.

Don't bother. The AT-PL50 is pretty poor and more likely to damage your records. You won't really find any new worthwhile turntables at this pricerange. The Technics SL-BD20 or 22 would be the cheapest proper turntable you'll find online if it's available in your part of the world.

Otherwise a Rega P1, Pro-Ject Debut or Goldring GR-1 are going to be the cheapest or else a Technics SL1200 if yu can find one discounted.

If all you want to spend is 100USD then you will get a much better deal going for something vintage if you are able to do a bit of digging and read up on basic maintenance and set-up. Here is a thread I made a while back with some pointers http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

BTW building a loudspeaker into a turntable is a very bad idea as it causes acoustic feedback like putting a mic too close to a speaker, not to mention mechanical feedback from the drive unit.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 8
After sifting through a lot of craigslist listings, I found a technics sl1200 for $60. But it doesn't look like its in such great shape.
1fd12c1g43n83k43ld8bn14e4c9238445178b.jpg

I'd still rather get a new one. The records I am giving are not exactly "valuable", they are replaceable for sure. And the use of the turntable will be pretty rare I think.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I found a technics sl1200 for $60. But it doesn't look like its in such great shape.

Not an SL1200 but certainly a vintage Technics so a very good buy indeed for that amount. These things are almost bombproof so unless it's been abused by an aspiring "DJ" then it should be a good buy. It looks a little dusty but thats easily rectified. Buying local is definitley the best way as you can collect it and look it over and get the vendor to play you a record to make sure it works before parting with your cash.

Quote:

I'd still rather get a new one. The records I am giving are not exactly "valuable", they are replaceable for sure. And the use of the turntable will be pretty rare I think.

Well all new records are pretty expensive to replace these days unless you are talking about 2nd hand AOR you find in bargain bins? That Technics in the picture is a proper record player which would have cost somebody around 250USD or more in the '70s when that was a lot of money. It's in a different class from anything you'll find today short of a new SL1200 for 4-500USD.

Anyone who has the vaguest interest in playing records would be very happy with any deck from Technics, they have a gilt-edged reputation in record playback, almost as synonomous as Hoover in vacuum cleaners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back