Looking for Cheap amp/dac
Mar 20, 2014 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

0rph3u5

New Head-Fier
Hi, it's been some time since I've looked into audio again (last time was when I bought my AD900s), but it's always good to be back.

Anyways, I currently have a xonar DG, but am getting really annoyed with driver issues and its amplifier going insane on me occasionally.  As a result, I've been interested in separate desktop amp/dac combos for a bit of time.  It wasn't until winter break, though, that I decided I really could use one 'cause apparently, my laptop's audio hardware is just plain terrible (annoying buzzing).  I know this is probably an issue with the amp and not the dac, but I feel like it would be a good idea to get a decent quality dac too.  Problem is, I'm on a tight budget (~$100 absolute MAX) and the fiio e10 just became unavailable through amazon.  I've been looking at the E07k from fiio too, but I wanted to know your guys' recommendation.

-Orpheus

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 12
If you want just an amp, checkout the Schiit Magni.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for replying ^^  I forgot to mention this before, but I'm looking for a USB input device because I don't have a receiver or anything or the sort.  So I'm looking for something to hook straight into my desktop or laptop and straight into 3.5mm ^^  Thanks again for the response, I was considering them, but then I learned that the magni and modi were meant to input and output into each other through RCA...

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Doesn't matter. All you need is an adapter to convert from 3.5mm to RCA. It's just a different size kind of plug.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hm, I see.  Thanks again.  The problem is, and I'm REALLY sorry to go back on myself like this, is that I'm not exactly 100% sure if it's the dac or amp...  I really hate myself for not mentioning it before, so I was thinking I could just go for something like the E07k, but thanks again for the second opinion.  You, my good sir, are epic.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Do you use Dolby Headphone for gaming or movie watching? If so, the USB DAC connection in the E07k will bypass that. If you could swing getting the E17, it also has optical input which would allow you to continue using the DSP features of the Xonar. But otherwise, go with the E07k.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 12
  Hi, it's been some time since I've looked into audio again (last time was when I bought my AD900s), but it's always good to be back.

Anyways, I currently have a Xonar DG, but am getting really annoyed with driver issues and its amplifier going insane on me occasionally.  As a result, I've been interested in separate desktop amp/dac combos for a bit of time.  It wasn't until winter break, though, that I decided I really could use one 'cause apparently, my laptop's audio hardware is just plain terrible (annoying buzzing).  I know this is probably an issue with the amp and not the dac, but I feel like it would be a good idea to get a decent quality dac too.  Problem is, I'm on a tight budget (~$100 absolute MAX) and the fiio e10 just became unavailable through amazon.  I've been looking at the E07k from fiio too, but I wanted to know your guys' recommendation.

Have you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Try deleting the Asus drivers and use the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 12

Anyways, I currently have a xonar DG, but am getting really annoyed with driver issues and its amplifier going insane on me occasionally.  As a result, I've been interested in separate desktop amp/dac combos for a bit of time.  It wasn't until winter break, though, that I decided I really could use one 'cause apparently, my laptop's audio hardware is just plain terrible (annoying buzzing).  I know this is probably an issue with the amp and not the dac, but I feel like it would be a good idea to get a decent quality dac too.  Problem is, I'm on a tight budget (~$100 absolute MAX) and the fiio e10 just became unavailable through amazon.  I've been looking at the E07k from fiio too, but I wanted to know your guys' recommendation.

-Orpheus

You can still find used E10s on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back