looking for cd player under 3000$
Oct 31, 2010 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mazinguerbeta

100+ Head-Fier
I´m looking for a used cd player , my budget is on approximately 3000 $, I would like to know your recommendations according to your experecience. Only I´m interested in that it reads redbook. I look for the best inside my budget. Thanks

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 15
I have had a great relationship with the Meridian line..  the G O8 used is well with in your budget...They sound great, last for ever and sell used in a few days. For what ever reason it's nice to be able to get out of this higher end equipment with only minimal loss shipping maybe pay pal fee..

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I´m looking for a used cd player , my budget is on approximately 3000 $, I would like to know your recommendations according to your experecience. Only I´m interested in that it reads redbook. I look for the best inside my budget. Thanks

One of the problems with buying source components (not just CDPs, but also DACs) is that certain brands have distinctive sonic characteristics and the most ideal way to go about finding a good one is to try and audition some - either at dealers or just buying one. I personally had a long CDP journey of about 2 years (2006-2008) and ended up trying a lot of different brands, most of which I bought used through Audiogon.

The best advice I can give to someone who wants to skip the journey (and hence the monetary investment) is to create a shortlist and just pick one. Ultimately I don't think it really matters what you buy as long as you like the form factor, aesthetics, operation, etc. While I personally have observed some very distinct sonic differences between CDPs, the differences tend to be very small and hard to hear unless you know how to listen (and even then, it requires really critical listening). So don't put too much stock into specific "recommendations" and just go with whatever appeals to you from a non-sound point of view. Even if you don't like it, at least you could sell it and cross one off your shortlist.
wink.gif

There are way too many CDPs on both the new and used market to choose from to make a specific recommendation anyway. You really should try to hear at least a few if possible, instead of buying blindly.

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 15
I use a Bryston cd1 and still finding very impressive after nearly 3 years should be within your budget 2nd hand.
Have you thought about the Creek Destiny ? its real good for the price and the mark 2 is due shortly so the mk1 is starting to lower in price here in the uk
Superfi had a stonking £600 reduction recently.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 15
i love my G08 and if SACD is not a priority, then it is a great choice. i sold my CARY 306 SACD because i preferred the G08. i have compared my meridian to various other players (wadia, marantz, denon, emm labs, sony, cambridge audio) and never felt that it was lacking. only the top of line wadia and emm labs stack did i feel were noticeable upgrades - although at a significant cost.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 15

i love my G08 and if SACD is not a priority, then it is a great choice. i sold my CARY 306 SACD because i preferred the G08. i have compared my meridian to various other players (wadia, marantz, denon, emm labs, sony, cambridge audio) and never felt that it was lacking. only the top of line wadia and emm labs stack did i feel were noticeable upgrades - although at a significant cost.

I should come to the NY. Meet and bring my rig, sit it next to yours and compare the 808.2i and the G O8 and the PX4 to the 300b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back