Looking for Cans that do Rock Better than the HD600s...
Dec 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sotto123

100+ Head-Fier
I received my HD600s a few days ago and honestly thought they would be better. I bought them off ebay and the guy said that he had already burned them in and had about 100 hours of listening time on them, so that isn't the issue. I'm listening to 320kbps files through my Asus V550C laptop, using an EHP Acoustics O2 amp without the ODAC, although I'm planning on buying that within the next couple of months (maybe this is why???).

Don't get me wrong, the HD600s sound good, particularly with live recordings, but they just don't do it for me. I'm not really sure why though (I'm not too good at explaining this stuff). It might be because they are too laid back and neutral for me and the treble could be improved upon. However, the mid range is a bit too in your face as well.

I've been doing a bit of reading and it seems that the DT880, K601, CD900ST or something by Grado would be my best bet. I'm open to all ideas though, as long as they are similarly priced to the ones I've mentioned. One more thing to mention is that I was actually planning on getting the HD650s, but went with the 600s in the end. Should I give some more thought to the 650s now?

This may be the most important part - the music I listen to. I'm not into hard rock, but more alternative, classic and indie etc. Some of my favourite artists include (bolded are personal favourites) The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Arcade Fire, The Antlers, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, The Stone Roses, Bright Eyes, David Bowie, Sigur Ros, John Mayer, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Led Zeppelin, The National, The Libertines, Pavement, Pink Floyd, Jack Johnson, Elliott Smith, Explosions in the Sky, Blink 182, Death Cab for Cutie, Stevie Wonder, and live recording.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 12
1. Cable
2. Amp
3. Buy a Grado.

wink.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 12
If you were really considering the HD650's, then a pair of Grado PS500's might fit the bill.   Retail price to retail price, they're comparable.  Problem is, you can find the Sennheisers reduced by at least $100, where as the Grados are fixed.

Generally speaking, the higher you go up in the Grado lineup, you get more bass and less high-end tizziness. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 12
  Don't get me wrong, the HD600s sound good, particularly with live recordings, but they just don't do it for me. I'm not really sure why though (I'm not too good at explaining this stuff). It might be because they are too laid back and neutral for me and the treble could be improved upon. However, the mid range is a bit too in your face as well.

Your amp's not the problem. I have an O2 and it can easily drive HD600. I don't know enough about DACs to tell you, but I'm supposing that you simply aren't taken with the sound signature of HD600. If so, Beyer and AKG are too similar to HD600 to be worth trying next. I haven't heard CD900ST; it's supposed to be mid-centric and also sort of neutral.

So, yes, Grados would be worth trying. Regardless of what your actual price range is, I don't recommend spending a lot on Grados till you know you like their house sound. I think it's worth trying SR60i or 225i before buying PS500. Also, consider what aspect of rock you like to listening rock for, because Grados will emphasize the guitar line. They're pretty bass-light.

An at least equally good idea is a modded Fostex RP. If you want to buy someone else's mod instead of trying to DIY, don't overpay for it: max $300. I know you can buy a ZMF T50RP for less than that. Fostex play everything well, so you can't go wrong.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 12
since you said you thought the HD 600s treble was not to your liking, and you thought the mids where too forward; i would recommend the HE-400s

they have great bass and treble that is slightly accentuated which makes the mids seem a little recessed. 

if you put the velour pads on though it brings the mids forward a little while still retaining the great bass and treble.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 12
The Grado PS500s are definitely out my price range (£600), and I'm not too sure about the HE-400s as they are also a bit too expensive (£350-400). However, I've been fiddling around with EQ and by upping the bass and treble, things are sounding better to my ears. I'm actually not too sure about the mids now, though, I think it must have been the song I was listening to at the time.

I'm suprised to hear that cans from Beyer are too similar to the HD600, as I keep on reading that they have more bass and treble which sounds like something that might suit me better. I keep on coming back to the DT880s and SR325i, but am finding it difficult to make a decision.  Anyone have anything to add about these two cans?

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 12
  I'm suprised to hear that cans from Beyer are too similar to the HD600, as I keep on reading that they have more bass and treble which sounds like something that might suit me better. I keep on coming back to the DT880s and SR325i, but am finding it difficult to make a decision.  Anyone have anything to add about these two cans?

DT880, not Beyers generally, would be too similar to HD600. But there a lot of similarities between the Beyer and Senn sounds. It's like comparing vanilla chocolate chip to another vanilla-based flavor such as cookie dough, instead of comparing it to a chocolate-based flavor. (Among the Grados, I prefer 225i to 325is like most listeners.)

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 12

DT880, not Beyers generally, would be too similar to HD600. But there a lot of similarities between the Beyer and Senn sounds. It's like comparing vanilla chocolate chip to another vanilla-based flavor such as cookie dough, instead of comparing it to a chocolate-based flavor. (Among the Grados, I prefer 225i to 325i like most listeners.)

Thanks for your help. I think I'm set on a pair of Grados now, either SR225i, SR325i or RS2i. I can actually get the 225s and 325s for the same price, but the RS2is are ~150 more expensive. It's hard to say whether I will find the 325s overly bright, as all I've listened to are the HD600s.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 12
  The Grado PS500s are definitely out my price range (£600), and I'm not too sure about the HE-400s as they are also a bit too expensive (£350-400). However, I've been fiddling around with EQ and by upping the bass and treble, things are sounding better to my ears. I'm actually not too sure about the mids now, though, I think it must have been the song I was listening to at the time.

Sotto, Hi.  I have a pair of AKG HD 142's I Play through a some tube VST plugins that sound pretty nice n' I just purchased a set of DT770s I liked because their the closed back versions I can take to starbucks. I figured that since the DT 770's, 880's and 990's may have the same drivers because they all produce the same Frequency response and are super comfortable. but check this out.. the Sennhieser should basically scream because they're open air headphones. but what are you driving them with and keep this in mind. your headphones are rated from 5 to 39,000 hz and those MP3's your playing are not anything close to that..  all though those are open headphones I think if you could get some sources with higher dynamic range you'd be doing a lot better.  and those things should breath pretty pretty good.. * I should be seeing a set of Closed back beyerdynamics by the end of the week, I'll let you know what they sound like..  

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 12
  I have a pair of AKG HD 142's [...] I figured that since the DT 770's, 880's and 990's may have the same drivers because they all produce the same Frequency response [...] all though those are open headphones I think if you could get some sources with higher dynamic range you'd be doing a lot better.

Thanks for telling us about K142HD. They're really good-looking, the mocha and silver colors. I don't know anything about them, except that I'll probably like them, given that I like that other AKGs I've heard. If you write a review on the product page here, I'd be interested in reading it.

It's conceivable that the mp3 format is a problem, but I tend to doubt that because I've listened to mp4s on K702 without a problem. That said, your advice is good general advice, and I've been looking into flac and wav over the past few weeks. (My home source is CD.)

I should mention that the FR charts differ for the three Beyers, which partly accounts for what I said about their house sound. Here's a comparative chart close up, with HD600 as Goldilocks:

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 12
So just now this minute I got the Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm version, This is the first time I've plugged them in..   and they sound Roomy..  I'm assuming Hooking them to an amp will increase the response and give them more of a thresh-hold on the sound..  I'm thinking I may need an amp just to break them in..    with the isolation (Closed Back) it's really like having your own band room Just for  your ears!.. :)    The base guitar in Zeppelin separates itself..   High vocals and guitar..    all there in their place..  all I listen to is uncompressed 3300KPS and 4608KPS Flac files and I can't even hear my cat trying to Climb up my leg'  -so I'm gonna go burn these in a bit..   see if I can get the Coils to heat up n cool down..  

Tha akg's are great too..     now you can get the AKG 240's and 172's with a little higher response but I got really good deals on these..   I got the DT770's for 115 bucks brand new and I purchased the HD142's for like 60 Bucks.  and you can't beat that..  :)        

So Comfortable.. **  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back