Looking for Canalphones/IEMs (sub-$70 USD)
Aug 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #16 of 30
Well, you got lotsa votes for the 551s. How about the Denon 700s? That said, go check out the big 700 thread. There are a whle bunch of comparisons there, including some (if not all) the other ones you mentioned.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, now I see that they're available for $200 with free shipping. Oh crap.

$189 actually (with the soundearphones.com summer sale).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 30
very_evil_smiley.gif
Thinking about the SA6's now, I am not very familiar with a lot of the good IEM's, but I am a serious metalhead and I have the SA6's and they are great for metal. And I have a D2 as well, and the way I currently have the settings on the D2 and SA6 metal is a dream, I came from the Senn CX300's too and I was not impressed by them at all. And if for whatever reason you may have to contact Sleek for any problem, customer service is great. I had a problem with the original cable not even a week after I bought them and JasonK sent me two new ones completely free of any charge. If you do get the SA6's pm me and I will tell how I have mine set up if you are curious about it.

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif

Quick question on your Marshmallows - do you use the stock tips, or have you tried others?
I just got some (FX33) & I'm having trouble getting a fit in one ear

I just use the stock tips. I actually don't listen to my Marshmallows that much.

I am so tempted to pull the trigger on the SA6, but I'm still trying to decide between those and the UE Super.fi 5 or 5 Pro. They're cheaper than the SA6, but if it's worth it to spend the extra dough, I'll do it. I'm still baffled that the 5's sound better than the 5 Pros.

I just can't decide...
confused.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$189 actually (with the soundearphones.com summer sale).
smily_headphones1.gif

Price shows $199.99 on soundearphones.com. Am I missing something?

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 30
Well, I pulled the trigger on the SA6. Since I didn't understand what was going on with soundheadphones.com, I decided to order from Amazon instead, since I'm more familiar with them and already have an account there.

I can't wait for my new SA6 to get here tomorrow!! (Yes, I opted for next day shipping...I couldn't help myself.)

Edit: Woo! Three posts in a row! Does this count as talking to myself at this point???

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do report on the SA6s when you get them.

Roger that.

I'll only really be able to compare them to my ER-6i and iM716, considering those are the only IEMs that I've really ever listened to. If what I've read about the SA6 is any indication, they're gonna' absolutely trounce both of 'em.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price shows $199.99 on soundearphones.com. Am I missing something?

Yes. Soundearphones.com is a sponsor of this forum, and as such gives many a discount. Their summer sale thread shows their current discounts for Head-Fi'ers, including $10 off orders above $150.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #25 of 30
a $70 budget quckly makes its way to the $200 range. gotta love head-fi. you did the right thing upping the ante. going cheap never works for long around here. we'll all just pawn it off a few weeks later.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a $70 budget quckly makes its way to the $200 range. gotta love head-fi. you did the right thing upping the ante. going cheap never works for long around here. we'll all just pawn it off a few weeks later.

Yeah, that's always the way it works around here; I entirely expect it by now. It's impossible to start a thread with a price limit and end up getting all of your recommendations within your budget. It's even harder to stick with your budget when you get suggestions like "well, for only $10 more, you could get..." and "if you're going to stretch it that $10, might as well pony up another $20 for...". Before you know it, your budget triples! Not that I'm complaining, because I did end up purchasing something that I'm certain is going to sound magnificent, which I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't worth the money to me. I'm very grateful for the awesome advice I get from everybody around here; it's why I keep coming back. It's just kinda funny. I suppose it's better than starting at $200 and upping it to $450!
ph34r.gif

As always, it doesn't just stop with one purchase. First you buy a new DAP...then come the shiny new 'phones...then you realize you need another amp to go with 'em...then a new interconnect...then a P to S adapter...before you know it, a slick new DAP comes out and the cycle continues. But that's just the equipment, which is totally useless without MUSIC. AARGH! I managed to stay away from this forum for a couple months, but I've been sucked back in.

I still haven't gotten the Grado SR-225 that I wanted. Those will come in time, I'm sure.
L3000.gif

What's more, now I hear that there's a deal to get the Klipsch Image X10 for $179, which is less than what I paid for my SA6! Hmm...SA6 for $200...plus X10 for $179...still only $379...
popcorn.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #27 of 30
The friendly gentleman driving the big brown truck dropped off my SA6 today!

As jonathanjong requested, I'm posting to express my initial (<2 hours) impressions of the SA6. I haven't had a whole lot of time to listen to them yet, but I'll walk you through my journey thus far:

As soon as I opened them I switched from Bass= and Treble= to Bass+ and Treble+. I kept the original bi-flanges on for the time being. First up, I loaded Baroness's Red Album on my Cowon D2. My initial impression was that there was too much bass. I soon realized that I still had the Mach3Bass option on, so I knocked it down to zero. Aaah, much better! The first thing I noticed is that the bass is (expectedly) much more present than in my ER-6i or iM716. It's smooth and strong, but not overpowering. They are much warmer than the Etys. I liked the sound, for sure, but wasn't quite certain that I loved it at this point. Unfortunately, only 5 minutes after assembling them and getting my first listen, I had to head off to class. There are no smileys available that accurately portray my dismay at this point.
frown.gif

So, after 3 hours of being unable to listen to my new Sleeks, I finally got the opportunity to fire 'em up again. This time I was able to try out the Bass-, =, and +, still with Baroness. I also switched to black olives over the bi-flanges, since they're more comfortable and get a better seal. The Bass- wasn't anything impressive. Just kinda blah. The bass was still there, and still stronger than the ER-6i and iM716 (even in bass mode). Not muddy, but just kinda boring. Hard to describe, I suppose. Next, I stuck the Bass= in. Bass was better, but still not quite what I was looking for. Time to switch back to the Bass+. Just as I had suspected, these are my favorite. The bass is rich and full, and very well controlled. I then switched over to my ER-6i, just to get a good back-to-back comparison. WOW, I had no idea what I had been missing with these! The music that I had previously loved listening to through my ER-6i now sounded flat and dull. Enough of that, back to the SA6!
beyersmile.png

Next up, I listened to a little Nirvana "Nevermind" and Pearl Jam "Ten" with my iBasso D2 added to the mix. Now the SA6 really sound good! The guitars and bass are brought out so much better through the SA6 than through my other IEMs, even while amped. It's really sad to think about what I had been missing out on. I suppose it's not all that bad, though, because I still enjoyed the music with them. I think it's going to be really nice having a diverse mix of IEMs available to enjoy depending on my mood. I still think that the Etys will be better with acoustic music, but that has yet to be tested.

I must say, though, that I didn't really fall in love with the SA6 until I pulled up the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magic". The SA6 really wake up on this album. For anybody who is familiar with the first track, "The Power of Equality", it starts out fairly quiet, with most of the low frequencies filtered out. After a few seconds of this, the low frequencies are added back in with a slam of the drums and bass; the kick at this point is unbelievable. You really need to hear it to appreciate it. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor, but promptly dropped it again. I haven't bothered retrieving it a second time. Through the whole album (or at least what I've listened to thus far), the drums just continue to give this awesome, strong, tight punch. Flea's bass absolutely comes alive through the SA6 powerful and smooth...and Frusciante's guitar...ooooooh, so crisp.

I'm really at a loss for words at this point; I feel that anything else I say is basically going to be redundant and repetitive.

In closing, if I only had two words to describe how I feel about the Sleek SA6, it would be these: GET THEM!

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #29 of 30
A few recommendations - NuForce NE-6 would be my first choice. Zune Premium Version 2 make a good back up set of IEMs. I also like my Head Direct RE2's but they lack bass without an amp.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #30 of 30
Umm what? this is like 2 years old dude. And if you had bothered to read the op got something already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back