Looking for can headphone suggestions... $110 +/- $20
Oct 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
Hey. I made a thread on here a year or two ago asking for advice on what kinds of in-ear monitors i should look at in the price range of about $100, and received lots of good feedback (i went with the ER-6i and i love them). now, for my birthday coming up, I think I might ask for a nice pair of cans for $110 +/- $20. can anyone suggest anything for me? I'm using a 5G 30gb video ipod and a new sony laptop. I think most of the use will come from the laptop as I am not necessarily looking for portability (that's where my 6i's come in). i don't have any extras at all -- no amplifiers, no fancy devices involved with the computer. i'm just looking for a good pair of cans i can get for the specified price range.

bass is important, but would really like the pair to be well rounded in the other aspects as well. what have you guys got to offer? thanks.

edit: also, i listen to indie pop/rock, classical, a little bit of hiphop, and some electronic.

ALSO, in addition to mostly musical use, i might use them for a little bit of gaming here and there, but that isn't all that important

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 10
Can't go wrong with Grado SR-80's or Alessandro MS-1's at that price range. If you currently like the signature of your ER-6i's I think you'll be happy with the above choices.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 10
thanks for the suggestions so far. how is the noise cancellation/isolation/whatever-method-they-use on these cans? and what's the difference between open and closed cans?

more suggestions are welcome.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckiedeity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the suggestions so far. how is the noise cancellation/isolation/whatever-method-they-use on these cans? and what's the difference between open and closed cans?

more suggestions are welcome.

open cans sit on your ears, and leak sound, and I believe they generally sound better. Closed cans cover your ears, and do not leak sound which is a plus if you don't want to disturb anyone arnoud you.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 10
For un-amplified listening, any pair of Audio Technica cans are a good choice. They are uber comfortable and sound wonderful. They aren't very bass-heavy, but the bass is very nice-sounding. I listen mostly to Jazz, R&B, hip-hop, rock and classical, and all of it sounds wonderful. Especially classical.

I've got a pair of ATH-AD700's (brand new, never opened) that I'm selling in the FS forums, if you're interested.

Sennheisers are always a good bet. I strongly considered the HD555 when I bought my AT's. You can find HD555's for around $99 USD.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 10
alright. after digging around a bit, I found that the AD700s, which I thought would be more in the $200 range retail, can actually be found for as low as $99. I know I'm not supposed to put TOO much stock in price, but I'd feel better about spending that much money if I were to spend a little bit more and get the best product for the price range as I can.

if people have some testimonials for the AD700 and can prove that it's pretty awesome for its price range and would be better than a different pair that is $110, $120, or $130 retail, then I'll go with the AD700s. otherwise, i'd like to know what better products there are for a price range up to $130.

just for reference, i'm looking at google products when i say "retail." the manufacturer's website lists AD700 at $250, but on google I can find them for $99. so you can probably suggest things that are around $300 on the manufacturer's site and I'd be able to find them for around $130 maybe.

..or just keep doing what you're doing so far. lol.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Actually, I think I will just go with the AD700s. I've read that the Alessandro MS1s need an amp and I don't use amps yet. the Grados in the same price range are apparently just slightly worse than the MS1s, which means that they also probably need an amp (on top of being slightly not as good). I've read some wonderful reviews about the AD700 and people really didn't have much bad to say about them. I guess I'm okay with paying $99 to get something that is pretty much one of the best for the price range.

Thanks all, and thanks wes.coleman. I think I'll pass on the offer from you since I can get them from a site found in google products for cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back