Looking for buget amp/dac
Dec 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kwazi

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hello, I've been lurking for a while and have been looking through a lot of topics and searching for an amp/dac. I'll be using it with my QP 450 pros and my budget is around 100 dollars. I'll probably end up buying an amp first and then a dac later for around 100 each. 

I'm a gamer and I listen to a lot of electronica/dnb but I listen to hiphop/classical as well. I'll be using it out of my computer so maybe a dac to start would be better? I would prefer more neutral/true to headphones sound since I feel like I haven't really heard these properly. I'll be playing it out of my computer with what I feel sounds pretty decent but I guess should buy the DAC first but I don't know.

Also I'll be waiting on a couple of months before making the second purchase and a lot can change by that time so I guess I'll keep my eyes (and my wallet) open.
What I've been considering: 
Fiio E9 (a lot of power, "true to headphones" sound, $120)
Musliand 02 (good impressions and $120)

Also I've been thinking of getting one of those external soundcards/usb dongles with virtual surround sound but I don't think that'd come before an amp/dac.
[/size]

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 3
the musiland 02, Audinst HUD-mx1, hotaudio bitperfect (and the destroyer) are all pretty good bang-for-buck too. And the musiland 02 you mentioned cant be beat if you're a believer in 24/192 resampling, considering its price.

The main drawback of all of those though, is their power source. They either come with a switching wallwart or use power from the USB. I'm actually surprised few people mention that around here (considering I just read a post about a guy that claims, with his new DAC, he can tell the type of wood the drumstricks were made out of in his music).

On a related note, I was out and about the other day and I came across this guy and his shop with this:
http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk/auction/b17174168?u=canworkshop_radio
Interesting little thing, I have no idea what "Cliff Audio" is and am not recommending it in any way, but it looked a nice looking package for a tube amp+dac package. I didnt listen to it cause I was on my to something, but its just a pity that the thing uses a c media 108 chip.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
[size=medium]
I'm a gamer and I listen to a lot of electronica/dnb but I listen to hiphop/classical as well. I'll be using it out of my computer so maybe a dac to start would be better? I would prefer more neutral/true to headphones sound since I feel like I haven't really heard these properly. I'll be playing it out of my computer with what I feel sounds pretty decent but I guess should buy the DAC first but I don't know.
[/size]

Unless your headphones are very hard to drive (like the K701) I suggest trying a combined DAC/amp unit with a good DAC section first. Then add a dedicated amp later. But if in the end none of the DAC/amp units appeal to you, or your headphones are very power hungry, then get an amp first. Most headphones will not sound their best when driven from a standalone DAC directly.

Sorry that I don't know anything about your QP 450 pros.

Quote:
the musiland 02, Audinst HUD-mx1, hotaudio bitperfect (and the destroyer) are all pretty good bang-for-buck too. [...]

The main drawback of all of those though, is their power source. They either come with a switching wallwart or use power from the USB. I'm actually surprised few people mention that around here. [...]

x2 on the Audinst. Great DAC with a decent headphone amp section. I bought it as a gift for someone earlier this year. Although its optional power supply is a lowly switching wallwart, it does have a substantial onboard power section for cleaning up the external power before it gets used. And you can always upgrade to a good linear regulated power supply later on. I personally use a TREAD power supply with my DAC, and a Sigma11 with my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back