Looking for budget DAC with microphone input
Feb 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DrGroove

100+ Head-Fier
I have tried reading through a million different threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
Basically I need:
- headphone out (using with mid level earphones, so amping isn't as important)
- Mic in
- RCA or 3.55mm stereo out
- USB in
- under $200, preferably under $150

So far the best fit items are:

Creative X-Fi HD USB  $70-80
http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-HD/M/B004275EO4.htm
- AKM4396VF DAC
- EAX support for games, limited EQ

E-mu 0204 $130
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=20347&nav=technicalSpecifications
- much of the negative reviews for this have compared it to audiophile DACs, but I don't know how the quality compares to the X-Fi
- has ASIO support while the X-Fi doesn't, does this matter? Not doing studio recording, just use mic for gaming and lots of voice chat
- AK4396 DAC, is this different?
- Almost twice as expensive as the creative

Emu 0404 uses the same DAC chip as the 0204, so I doubt that would be worth extra money for what I would use it for. Can anyone post their opinion or think of anything similar to recommend?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 3
Another question: Could I use a home receiver such as an Onkyo TX-SR308 $200

So run an hdmi connect from PC to the receiver. Would running a cable back to the line-in on my computer work for getting the mic back to my PC? I made a professional diagram.

The onkyo has an aux line-in on the front that appears to be 3.55mm, so I think the mic would work there. I also don't know how to connect my logitech PC speakers with this example setup. It uses a single stereo cable, so would a simple RCA converter allow me to use it with the receiver?

I'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff so please tell me what to change or if anything looks like it wouldn't work.

edit: After further reading, seems a microphone preamp would be needed to use a mic with an AVR. This puts that option pretty well out of my budget, so probably going to try the 0204 unless someone can suggest something better.

edit2: found a Behringer MIC100 tube preamp for $30, so  maybe I can stretch the budget a tad. The output from these preamps is 1/4" TRS, so would I just use a TRS to RCA converter to plug it into the receiver?

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Bumping with another setup pic. Decided I'm getting out of my budget and the X-FI HD should suit my needs for now. 

The goal is to be able to watch my blu-ray rips on my new TV while also utilizing the X-Fi for improved sound. My only real questions now is whether or not I would get audio delay watching on the TV and speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back