Looking for brighter SE215 alternative
Mar 22, 2014 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tjcoops

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

This is my first post to the forum so hi!

I'm planning on getting a pair of IEMs soon and would like some advise. I found the Shure SE215 online and immediately liked the look of how it fits, I like the fact that it goes into the profile of your ear so that you don't have the body hanging out. However I've searched the forums and people seem to think that it's got a very warm sound signature. A thread on Linus techtips even suggested that it was 'insanely bass heavy' which put me off.

I'm looking for an IEM which has the same kind of fit as the SE215, around the same kind of price (in the UK thats about £100) but with a brighter signature, I really like hearing details in vocals and good separation, a nice wide soundstage would be a plus too. That said I'd like the IEM to be competent with bass as well, but the higher end is definitely the priority.

The kind of music I listen to:
Muse
Bombay Bicycle Club
Foals
Rage against the Machine
White Stripes

Maybe I'm wanting a little too much for the price of an SE215 but any advise and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Or check out the reviews of T-peos H-100.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 9
It might be a bit difficult recommending something else if you have not personally tried the SE215.
However, for something brighter than the SE215, I think the UE600 would be a good choice.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Are you looking for something brighter in comparison to the SE215 or brighter objectively?

Bright is a description for the treble range but there are a lot of ways an IEM can appear brighter. One way to to attenuate the bass response so that the focus can be given to the other frequency spectrum. The other way is to accentuate the treble. I will recommend that you go try the SE215 if possible. Amazon has an awesome return policy that you can make use of. Try it and if you don't like it you can return it.

SE215 has a very addicting sound that can be great from newcomers to try. If this is your first foray into audiophilia, then the SE215 is a great place to start. This was where i started from too. While I have moved on to other IEMs, this model will always have a special place.

No matter what, welcome to head-fi! Sorry for your wallet!

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the replies. I haven't had the chance to listen to any of IEMs unfortunately as there's so few places around me that sell anything but Beats. I know this is a pretty big issue and it would've been nice to try before buying.

The Triple Fi's were a little over budget unfortunately.

The T-Peos H-100s were quite enticing but I prefer the negative profile fit and the isolation it provides.

In the end I managed to find what I think is a very good deal (at least for the UK), I got a pair of Shure SE315, some extra tips and a free pair of Phonak PFE122 earphones all for the equivalent of £158 from the US which is less than just the SE315s in the UK! From what I can tell from researching the SE315s are comparatively brighter compared to the SE215 (maybe because they use an armature not a dynamic driver?) which sounds like the perfect signature for me as I'm still interested in bass, I'm just really not a 'basshead'.

Only time will tell if I made a good decision.

But I'll probably sell the Phonaks brand new for £150 so I feel like I've got a very good deal :)

Thanks for the help!

:)

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 9
It turns out that the company can't ship Shure products outside of North America. 

So it looks like it's between the Westone W10 and UM PRO 10. 

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 9
  It turns out that the company can't ship Shure products outside of North America. 

So it looks like it's between the Westone W10 and UM PRO 10. 

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks!

UM pro 10 is a plain earphone with little character. This is not necessarily a bad thing because it can reproduce the exact music. However, for general listening, I think W10 will be more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back