Looking for Brainwavz M2 replacement!
Sep 17, 2014 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

meteorainc

New Head-Fier
The cable on my Brainwavz M2 has start to crack and fall apart, still usable but its time to move on and it has served me long and strong. I absolutely love the cable on the M2 with the clear rubber coating and braided wires, almost no memory effect when unwound.

I also have the Brainwavz M4, the clarity isn't good enough and bass seems too muddy for my liking.

Before I purchase the M2, I also compared it with the NuForce NE-700 didn't like how the NuForce sound as well. I haven't been looking at any new earphones these past 2 years.

If anyone can give me some recommendations that would be great, something similar to the M2 with a little more base. Price point $60-80

If it can be purchase from MP4Nation, that would be even better as I am not located in the US. Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 11
thanks for the recommendations, I agree M4 sounded very cheap. I did not understand why it got such good reviews, perhaps my ears are weird.

Sound Magic sounds interesting, anymore recommendation from more reputable brands or brands that you see in retail stores? thanks

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 11
i've received piston 2.0 & vsd3 yesterday. not bad phones but piston is pretty much alike to M4. it offers nothing special but i only listened for 15 minutes yet. vsd3 on the other hand, a different story. it sounded like koss ruk30. very good vocal separation and bass acoustic. i listened it for only 15 minutes too :) so far, vsonic seemed buyable to me...

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Pull the trigger on SoundMagic E10, bought from MP4Nation for $35 shipped. I received it last week and I am truly impress with this little thing. One of the best budget earphones I have purchase to date, sounds awesome. For people who like a lot of bass and not break the bank this is it. The cable was braided with a clear coating, just like what I hoped for as this is the most durable and tangle free type I've used, like the ones found on the Brainwavz M2.

I'm no pro and audiophile but I'm starting to use the E10 more than the M2, the M2 is a great pair of earphones too, its smooth and more refine compare to the E10. But the E10 suits the music styles that I listen to more, such as rock, alternative, and some mainstream music. Not to mention it sounds awesome when watching movies, the sound stage is incredible and makes it feel like you are watching a movie in your home theatre. Yes I am in love with my new earphone. I would not recommend this if you are more into vocal or jazz styles of music, I feel like the bass is too much and not balanced, it does not bring the vocals out enough (sorry for my lack of description).

I was searching online and also found that they were being rated the best earphone under 50 pounds by whatshifi recently.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-in-ear-headphones-to-buy-in-2014

I've also pull the trigger on Vsonic VSD3, the reviews were too good to refuse. Purchased on Penon Audio for $45 shipped, looking forward to it. I hope this will be a good replacement for my M2 when I need a little more balance, something not as bassy as the E10.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 11

I've also pull the trigger on Vsonic VSD3, the reviews were too good to refuse. Purchased on Penon Audio for $45 shipped, looking forward to it. I hope this will be a good replacement for my M2 when I need a little more balance, something not as bassy as the E10.

remember my piston impressions ? i'm now sure of it. piston is very identical to M4 so you did a great choice staying out of it. same applies to VSD3, again my first impressions turned out to be true. it's a quite decent earphone. but there's some cable problems with the VSD3/S series i did personally encountered too. i've already returned the product to penon, waiting for replacement (probably VSD3S this time).

the GR02 Bass Edition was $25 on LMUE :) i think you missed your chance to get the same thing with pretty much lower price & without the cable/connector issues. GR02 giving nearly the same sound if not better. i'll make my conclusion after i get VSD3S but certainly for the $25 price it's something hard to resist. penon also have R02 Professional Edition for $29 but i've no information about it. seems very alike to GR02.

since vsonic products does not need amplification, i think they're all better than Brainwavz R1. i stopped recommending it after using vsonic. R1's only advantage was the soundstage depth, i think GR02 offering nearly the same while VSD3 has slightly more optimized to sound vertical, but the differences are very small, both products have enough depth. i also tried the KC06a, it badly lacks deep bass unfortunately. just like the piston-m4 relation, ostry has the same kind of relation with Audio-Technica's CKM500. both models offering overly vertical soundstage & lacks deep bass.

the only advantage of Ostry is, it has one of the best treble performances i've seen so far. but the difference is not enough to justify the lack of the deep bass & soundstage depth. piston & ostry out of my game right now, while koss is still in. i'm looking forward to hear your soundmagic-vsonic-m2 comparisons :) have fun.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Here is another update on the earphones.

I begin to feel that the Soundmagic E10's base was a little too much for my liking, too overwhelming at times.I would rate the three I've compared previously as VSD3 > M2 > E10 for music. E10 is still a great and fun earphone, I have no complaints so far for the price.

GR02 seems like something I will pick up to try when it goes on sale.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 11
i concluded about gr02 vs vsd3/s, they've the same sonic signature but have some soundstage differences. tried to explain in my reviews. i also got a m2 and i can say both m2 & m4 is bassweak and yes m2 has slightly brighter treble clarity but this two are badly lacks soundstage thus their mids arent detailed enough. if e10 got the same type of mids (without any layer seperation) then it's a trash in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back