Looking for Bose-like small system
Oct 25, 2005 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sjino

100+ Head-Fier
I guess technically the Bo$e system fits in the portable audio category and belongs in this group.
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for something similar for my living room, but I can't see paying Bo$e prices for average sound quality. However, I don't mind paying close to that price for stunning quality.

All I need is crystal clarity, adequate bass, and multiple CD capability. That's it. Can anyone recommend a mini system that doesn't look and sound like a boom box?

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 12
Not quite a "portable audio" thread but I'll let moderators deal with that :p

There's plenty of options but for Bose money I would go for Nakamichi. In my opinion, they make the best sounding mini systems and some of them are damn right sexy. I would not opt for their speakers though. Instead, I would match them with a set of Tannoy with Concentric drivers but that's only a personal preference.

If your budget is limited, I would recommend the Denon D-M35DAB. Not a multi CD player but the sound quality coming out of that little aluminium box is amazing for the price; mainly due to the two Burr-Brown DACs. As with the Nakamichi, I would avoid the Denon speakers; I find that a set of the small bookself B&W suits this unit better.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 12
I can't say enough good things about my the Cambridge SoundWorks Model 12 portable sub/sat system I drive with a Ahh! Njoe Tjoeb Super 4000 oversampled CDP. It may not play to the same levels as my #1 system, but for high quality portable sound from 110AC or 12DC it is, IMHO, without peer.

Oct 26, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you for the suggestions. I knew I'd get some good responses from this bunch.

I've heard about the Nakamichi system, and have always admired their stuff. And I absolutely love the small B&W speakers -- what a great idea to pair them with a mini system like the Nakamich or Denon. (I had a Denon receiver a number of years ago, and it was outstanding.)

Is the Cambridge available only through the Web or mail? I'd like to hear it because I've read good reviews saying it sounds way nicer than the Bose. I don't know if it has multiple CD capability, though, which is my wife's one requirement.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Steve

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjino
Is the Cambridge available only through the Web or mail? I'd like to hear it because I've read good reviews saying it sounds way nicer than the Bose. I don't know if it has multiple CD capability, though, which is my wife's one requirement.

I got mine online and I do not know if Cambridge SpeakerWorks have a showroom at their factory. The Model Twelve consists of two satellites, an amp/switching unit, and a subwoofer built into a pelican type case which houses everything while in transit. I found a pair of inexpensive sat speaker stands at PartsExpress.com which I bring along and use to position the sats in the different listening environments. I also upgraded the speaker wire and use a quality L.A.T. International interconnect to my CDP. You will need a CDP or some other line out source to drive the system. I am using a Ahh! Njoe Tjoeb Super 4000 oversampled CDP now, in the past I used a Denon CDP changer. Cambridge SpeakerWorks has other powered sub/sat systems for more fixed applications.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Oct 27, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I have this unit and I'm not a fan. Seriously muddy, boomy bass.

What about a Tivoli system? They're nice looking, but I haven't listened yet:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/customer/...195&cat=&page=

I've heard the Tivoli system with 2 speakers and sub, and it sounds pretty good, but not great. I'm sure the system with the built-in CD is very similar, but it seems overpriced at $495. This would work better in an office or bedroom, because the system I heard didn't get loud enough for a living room. The very first Tivoli with one speaker and a radio was a really great idea and a good buy, but as they keep adding on features and raising the price, the bang for the buck isn't the same.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 12
I also recommend Nakamichi if you are looking for a nice mini system recommended to my by a friend of mine, even i didn't before hear of it. Don't think that Bose is always the best option , there are other brands out there and even with less problems compared to  Bose itself.

Quote:
I guess technically the Bo$e system fits in the portable audio category and belongs in this group.
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for something similar for my living room, but I can't see paying Bo$e prices for average sound quality. However, I don't mind paying close to that price for stunning quality.

All I need is crystal clarity, adequate bass, and multiple CD capability. That's it. Can anyone recommend a mini system that doesn't look and sound like a boom box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back